Emerald Mine Club Graphics

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mr-ed

Emerald Mine Club Graphics

Post by mr-ed »

I currently play RnD 3.2.3 SDL on a Linux box running Fedora.
Last night I decided to install the Emerald Mine Club collection (with the 50K+ levels).
The classic EMC levels have that crisp hi-resolution graphics that I really enjoy.
This add-on collection seems to have really low-resolution graphics like the old-timey computers used to have.
Is this normal?

It seems that when I played this collection 2 or 3 years ago on a Windows box, I didn't notice any drastic difference in graphics quality. Of course it may have been a different collection back then.

Thanks in advance for your attention to my question.
Mr Ed
RTADash

Re: Emerald Mine Club Graphics

Post by RTADash »

mr-ed wrote:This add-on collection seems to have really low-resolution graphics like the old-timey computers used to have.
Is this normal?
Yes, these graphics are directly taken from the original EMC games, which were for the Amiga, which is a quite old computer. :wink:
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hello mr-ed, welcome to the R'n'D forum! :-)

Yes, RTADash is right here -- these EMC graphics are the original (low-resolution) Amiga graphics from the original EMC sets. And yes, an earlier version of the EMC collection did not have these original graphics, but instead used the (higher resolution) R'n'D graphics instead.

But if you prefer the R'n'D graphics, this is no problem: Just go to the setup menu, into "custom artwork", and set "override level graphics" to "yes" (the selected graphics set -- above under "custom graphics:" -- should still be set to "classic graphics" then). This lets you use any graphic (and sound and music) with any level set, regardless of which artwork the set originally comes with!

A brilliant alternative to play the huge EMC collection with state-of-the-art graphics and sound is the special R'n'D version "R'n'D jue", which can also be downloaded from the "Downloads" section of my site!
mr-ed

Post by mr-ed »

Thanks guys for the excellent advice.
And a generous tip-of-the-hat to the game designers for providing the options that allow the player to choose.

Mr Ed