Action vs. Puzzle

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

What type of levels do you like best?

Action
9%
Puzzle
9%
A combination of the two
73%
Either one, as long as they're seperated
9%

Total votes: 11

Nathan H.

Action vs. Puzzle

Post by Nathan H. »

In Knoppix, R'n'D was (and maybe still is) a game in the Puzzles category... and to a large extent it is a puzzle, but there is much more. So, which type do you prefer?

Action (like BD2K3 Level 37 or EM Level 3)
Puzzle (Like Jue's levels and most of Snake Bite)
A combination (Like most of EM or BD)
Last edited by Nathan H. on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Rocks'n'Diamonds was originally intended to be a Boulderdash clone, and Boulderdash is a puzzle game. Emerald Mine is also a puzzle game, but there are more "Action" levels in it than Boulderdash.

Overall, I think Rocks'n'Diamonds is mainly a puzzle game, but levels can be made to be "Action"-based.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Forty-niner

Post by Forty-niner »

I like both, but I'd rather prefer them separated. I don't care about what it was supposed to be, anyway.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Personally, I like a combination, ---- but in the majority of levels, i'd say it's not too easy to separate action from puzle cleanly.

Even the likes of boulderdash have many timing exercises, such as precisely dropping rocks on top of enemies.

Probably only a few sorts of levels can be said to be purely one thing or the other, ---- such as sokoban levels which feature no action at all, or some of the Bd2k3 levels which are very much going towards the action end of the scales.

Just my opinion here of course.
Nathan H.

Post by Nathan H. »

Well said.