My Emerald Mines Article

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

ArizonaSnow

My Emerald Mines Article

Post by ArizonaSnow »

Hi, I've been an Emerald Mines enthusiast ever since the game was released on the Amiga and have played through lots of the level sets.

I am a Squidoo lensmaster and as such I have wrote an article on Emerald Mines: The Best Amiga Game Ever. I have also put a review of Rocks 'n' Diamonds in it together with links to the RnD site.

I am well impressed with the Rocks 'n' Diamonds conversion and I am rehooked on the Emerald Mine phenomenon once again.
dave

Re: My Emerald Mines Article

Post by dave »

ArizonaSnow wrote:Hi, I've been an Emerald Mines enthusiast ever since the game was released on the Amiga and have played through lots of the level sets.

I am a Squidoo lensmaster and as such I have wrote an article on Emerald Mines: The Best Amiga Game Ever. I have also put a review of Rocks 'n' Diamonds in it together with links to the RnD site.

I am well impressed with the Rocks 'n' Diamonds conversion and I am rehooked on the Emerald Mine phenomenon once again.
if you want real emerald mine, try my player :)

http://www.emeraldmines.net/?emeraldx11

i wrote the original emerald mine engine used in rocks'n'diamonds. i've since added to the engine and Emerald Mine for X11 is the latest incarnation. it's out of date by about a month because i can't figure out how to upload a new one (hi steffest, drop me a note please :) nothing too different, im toying with fullscreen mode at the moment.
the rocks'n'diamonds version of my emerald mine engine has problems with playability (especially with a joystick) because it seems my old program (circa 2001) was butchered and my input stuff removed. i guess Holger didn't realise how important it was to keep the same input type method. also the graphics are screwed up in r'n'd when playing EMC caves from the huge archive. my program is open source but i dont know when or if the latest engine will end up in rocks'n'diamonds.
ArizonaSnow

Re: My Emerald Mines Article

Post by ArizonaSnow »

dave wrote:if you want real emerald mine, try my player :)
I tried it its not bad (its a bit quick on my computer though).

I also have a link to your site on my article :)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

"Emerald Mine is to Boulder Dash
as
The Commodore Amiga is to the Commodore 64"
Interesting analogy.
Both games have their strength, and both games have in common that there are really poor ports.
Emerald Mine is good on the Amiga and was ported really badly to the C64.
Boulder Dash is good on the C64 (and Atari's 8 bit) and was ported really badly to the Amiga.
I wouldn't say that Emerald mine is better than Boulder Dash. It is just different in many ways.
ArizonaSnow

Post by ArizonaSnow »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Interesting analogy.
I don't mean the analogy to knock Boulder Dash - I loved Boulder Dash especially Boulder Dash 2.

The analogy is there to show how much of an update that Emerald Mines is of Boulder Dash and also to capture the Boulder Dash audience who have never heard of Emerald Mines (god forbid that there are any).
Nathan H.

Post by Nathan H. »

There's a BD2 levelset for RnD, but it seems to have conversion errors or something.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

dave:
> the rocks'n'diamonds version of my emerald mine engine has problems
> with playability (especially with a joystick)

I would really like to sort things out here, and fix, if possible. As this may be buggy behaviour in R'n'D, I've made a new post for it in the "bugs" section:

viewtopic.php?t=1821

dave, could you please have a look at it and help me understanding what I may have done incorrectly when adding your EM engine to R'n'D? Thanks!