Mouse?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Should there be a mouse controller?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 14

Grunt002

Mouse?

Post by Grunt002 »

Do you think that there should be mouse controller for RnD?
Controls:
LEFT= MOUSE MOVE LEFT
RIGHT= MOUSE MOVE RIGHT
UP= MOUSE MOVE UP
DOWN= MOUSE MOVE DOWN
SNAP= LEFT MOUSE HOLD + MOVE DIRECTION
BOMB= RIGHT MOUSE CLICK

(this is sort of a new idea :P )
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Just imagine trying to play RnD for two seconds with a mouse and you'll see the right answer.
richard

Post by richard »

Well, controlling the player like that is bad, but other stuff would be good.
Like to be able to click on a CE and it changes than, or having an inventory and being able to click on the items to drop or to prepare to drop.

And not item change by drop+snap and so drop. That is only weird.

Grunt, you are perfectly right. The mouse should be a piece of the future of the game ! And the keyboard of course too.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Richard, this is your craziest idea yet!

I can almost hear my wrist screaming out in pain...

Why not click on the map, and Rockford travels to where you clicked? :wink:

Better still, why not drag a box around the elements you want to move, then click on the other side of the map?
Then they could attack the enemy's base and......Oh no, sorry wrong game! :wink:
richard

Post by richard »

Well, with click and drag it would be possible, and maybe you could make strategy games with RnD ! :D

left click, -and drag, right click, -and drag would make very much new things !

You can click buttons, so why not CEs too ?

Alan, I think using the mouse would open very much new ideas... :wink:

If RnD could be a strategic- and fps game, it would make more fun to make levels, cause we all are already understanding how CEs and artwork works, don´t we ? :D
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

How can RnD be a first person shooter?
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
richard

Post by richard »

Yes, I mean like it is now, that you only controll 1 "unit".
Alan

Post by Alan »

Richard, I was only joking about the RTS game.....

but a FPS, hummm... there's an idea! :wink:
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

rofl!

next you'll be asking if rocks and diamonds can have an intergrated television system in the far left corner
richard

Post by richard »

Richard, I was only joking about the RTS game.....
I know. :D
I replied to Grunt, cause he had the last post, else I would notify, if I reply to somewhere else.

But... RTS, FPS... ämmm... too much shortcuts for me :O)
Ahhh wait, RTS is strategy.

Anyways, RTS doesn´t sound that weird as you think Alan... If it would be possible to make RTS in RnD, I would make at least 1000 of levels ! If you could control friendly CEs to move at a position... *dreaming further*

Only 2 things would be needed for that:
1) Mouse control
2) Allow to click on empty space, and set movement-points (with graphics) to there (that CEs can move where you want) - That could also be made complicated, but it would shrink the movements and realtime effect

Poll: Who is against mouse control (so that you have to click on some CEs and such stuff). And it will not be so, that the all levels will be only mouse-controlled ! Only few... such 10 - 100 of 10000+ levels. :D

......But I can imagine Holger would bring us (mostly me) to the reallity......
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

Alan wrote: Why not click on the map, and Rockford travels to where you clicked? :wink:
Well, I know a sokoban clone that works exactly that way, but when walking to a certain point in sokoban you don't have to care about spaceships, butterflies, robots, etc...

I personally think implementing mouse-controlling wouldn't be worth the efford. I can't see why anyone wanted to use this, since the mouse it way to inprecise, at least for me.

But on the other hand if you think of tablet-pcs or pen-controlled handhelds,... yes it might be of use there....
richard

Post by richard »

Well, you should not always be able to teleport to every single corner... or not at the begin. Maybe you have to find an item with very much work and stuff, and than teleporting through everything and being almighty...

And I have also very much more ideas what I could do with that !
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

You have big ideas for everything. :wink:
richard

Post by richard »

lol, yeah... :D

I am full with ideas, I just need to extract them, but if Holger disagrees such things... anyways RnD needs such cool features !

Ah well, mouse clicking on elements may be a bit hard, cause you have to target exactly, but you can also click on desktop icons, or just say, "the level is nothing for me, cause I don´t like RTS", it´s the same like if you don´t like Sokoban or whatever !

And I am sure not everybody would only make RTS levels in RnD if it is possible... 1/10 of the people would do that (included me of course). ;)

Oh and, not to forget, the mouse stuff is: :D
Click, double click, drag (and all the same by the right mouse button)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Flumminator wrote:I personally think implementing mouse-controlling wouldn't be worth the efford. I can't see why anyone wanted to use this, since the mouse it way to inprecise, at least for me.
Couldn't agree much more.
For some years ago, I had billions of ideas for my own made computer games, but I never could implement them. So I started new projects, over and over again, with more and more ideas, only 5% of all projects came somewhere...the rest got overwhelmed by ideas and then cancelled.

So basically what I want to say is: Don't have too many ideas.