Hello :P

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Dima

Hello :P

Post by Dima »

Hi,

Back from exile, how's everyone doing?

R&D is very comprehensive, RoX isn't nearly as flexible, but then again it was a test project, so no competition :P

Cheers,
Dima
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Hello and Welcome (back?) to the forum, Dima.
Unfortunately, I must admit that I'm not sure of who you are. I can't remember the name "Dima" and I'm not sure what RoX is, even though I do remember that name from somewhere.

Anyways, I think most of us here are doing fine, in one way or another, as you probably can see, there's not very much activity on the forum now, and Holger's on vacation (but he'll be back soon!), and most of us are probably busy with other projects.

I myself, having (more or less) recently created RnD Scripter, and the so far still unreleased RnD Database, have started to focus on other programming projects. But I will probably get back to the RnD tools development when there's more activity here, or when someone tells me that they're wishing to use those projects in the future...

So, anyways... Welcome Dima :)
Dima

Post by Dima »

Hi Zomis,

Technically I am new here :P

RoX was my pet project a few years ago - a game similar to boulderdash.

I am happy that people still enjoy these types of games :D

Cheers,
Dima
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

BTW, Dima, congrats on being member #250!

It's quite a milestone :)

This means we're EXACTLY 25% of the way toward 1000 members! (some dream...)
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

@Zomis: The game "RoX" is a Boulderdash clone. For more information, see the RoX page on Martijn's Boulder Dash Fan Site.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hi Dima, welcome to the R'n'D forum! :)

> RoX was my pet project a few years ago - a game similar to boulderdash.

So you're the programmer/creator of RoX?! Wow, that's great -- I think that RoX is one of the most beautiful BD clones ever! :)
Dima

Post by Dima »

Hi,

i take it Mr. Holger that you're the guy behind R&D :) what a great effort on your part sir, I played your game way before I even thought of starting RoX and programming in general. i actually remember looking at the sources and going thinking that C was out of the question, and couldn't understand any of it. That was the time when I first became familiar with QBasic (btw RoX was made in Visual Basic) and had no clue what arrays or subs/functions were, so i made original QB stuff all in one linear fashion. Ah, the good ol' days :)

Now work and life in general are keeping me from doing too much else.

Cheers,
Dima
m&m

Post by m&m »

Hi, Dima!

For me RoX is one of the best BD clones (Me and my brother were building levels, but unfortunately we lost them :(). I've got a request: Can you publish RoX v1.4 source codes? I'm learning programming so maybe I would develop the game (of course I'm going to do the same with RND ;))
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I just downloaded RoX...I try it out and...WOW! :shock:
Great work, Dima!
I don't know what else to say! Gotta go play more RoX...
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Cool to know that RoX was done in VisualBasic -- never thought that this is possible (but instead assumed it was done in C++)! Well done! :-)

(BTW: No need for "Mr" and "sir"... ;-) )
Alan

Post by Alan »

Dima?

Didn't you have some kind of pacman avatar when you where here last? (Bad memory)

You never mentioned anything about Rox though...... :?:
Dima

Post by Dima »

Hi all,

Unfortunatelly RoX source was lost a while back ... also, probably not a good idea to learn programming from those. :P (pretty bad hacking style back then)

@Alan: I was never here before, so i'm new, but trying to get back into small game development, and BD is still my favorite style. :D

Rock on guys!
Alan

Post by Alan »

Oh sorry, I got you mixed up with Lipa!

Good to see that Rox was made in VB....the few games that I made in VB never had smooth scrolling, oh well. ;-) (did you use DX or just APIs?)

Wasn't there a SP clone made in VB (Holger?)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Wasn't there a SP clone made in VB (Holger?)

Yes, Megaplex is written in VB, too.