Tapes and stuff (Splitted from the Zelda thread)

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

With "hiding the tape" I meant that RnD isn't able to ":ist" it because it isn't directly in "tapes", but it is in "tapes/Zelda", just that...
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I remember that Alan said that he did this on purpose for "Snake Bite."
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > - Upgrading from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2, I've noticed that cleared-up rooms,
> > when are recreated, show a robot wheel in their middle - just an
> > eyeshut, anyway. I don't remember such flashing elements in 3.2.1...

> Interesting. This is used to find the middle of the screen every time you
> enter and leave and is one of the last elements to destroy itself. The fact
> that you can now see it means some timings must of been
> changed....Holger?

From 3.2.1 to 3.2.2, I nearly only added the engine snapshots -- there are absolutely no engine changes or something like that.

Are you really sure that 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 behave different here?
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Yes, just tried that. You can see it in room n° 4, just not to go far away. I can see flashing also a green element, apart of the robot wheel, but I didn't recognize it.
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

I remember that Alan said that he did this on purpose for "Snake Bite
Nope, I don't hide anything. I made a tapes folder and a subfolder in that for ease of use (If I just made a tapes folder with the tape in it, you'd still have to make a zelda folder).

But maybe I'm missing something here: I'm not too sure what :ist-ing is, but I gather it's something to do with tapes? So I don't have to make two folders like I said above?
From 3.2.1 to 3.2.2, I nearly only added the engine snapshots -- there are absolutely no engine changes or something like that.
Ahh, but for me it would be 3.2.0. to 3.2.1 since I've not played it on anything above 3.2.0. yet.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Didn't you know that typing ":ist" in the main screen of RnD loads the solution tape from the "tapes" folder of any levelset? Well, now you know that ;)

In order to work, you have to eject the active personal tape (if present). The solution tape has to be put directly in the "tapes" folder, and not in a subfolder.

About the issue above, I confirm that the difference is exactly between 3.2.1 and 3.2.2.
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> About the issue above, I confirm that the difference is exactly between
> 3.2.1 and 3.2.2.

Good to know! Then it should be very easy to find and fix that bug, as there are only really very few changes! I really wonder which apparently "harmless" change caused this misbehaviour again... :-o ;-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Didn't you know that typing ":ist" in the main screen of RnD loads the solution tape from the "tapes" folder of any levelset? Well, now you know that
Wow, no I didn't! :shock:

And now I see what Daniel meant because snakebite's tapes are in a sub-folder. Why am I only learning this now? :cry: (I just noticed Jue's snakebite tapes are correct BTW)

Any other typing shortcuts I should be aware of? (idclev32?)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> And now I see what Daniel meant because snakebite's tapes are in a
> sub-folder.

Oops... :-o

And I was *always* absolutely sure that this was perfectly by intention -- to make it harder to see the solution of your sets, effectively disabling this cheat mode, but still providing the solution tapes for those who know what to do (by changing the folder structure). :-o

> Any other typing shortcuts I should be aware of?

I think that you already know all the others (besides solution tapes):

Insert solution tape:
:insert-solution-tape
:ist

Reload graphics, sounds, music, all artwork:
:reload-graphics
:rg

:reload-sounds
:rs

:reload-music
:rm

:reload-artwork
:ra

Print some info about current level (debugging only, maybe outdated).
:dump-level
:dl

Dump current tape:
:dump-tape
:dt

From level editor: Dump level for forum sketch:
:dump-brush
:DB

From level editor: Dump level for forum sketch (small graphics):
:DDB

I think these are all...

> (idclev32?)

;-)

Something like this could be nice for hidden levels... :-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

wow! :-O You know, I must of missed that memo....

:rg and :rg are fully supported then? I thought these where on the todo list!

So I could load RND, alt-tab to paintshop edit a pcx, return and type :rg to reload that PCX? That would save me a lot of time! When I think about it most of my time is spent tweaking and reloading RND.

(this deserves it's own thread BTW)

*edit*

Ahhh no, I was wrong about :rg (it just reloads the textual stuff), I'm kind of glad about that because I thought I missed out on something BIG there. ;-)
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Holger wrote:And I was *always* absolutely sure that this was perfectly by intention -- to make it harder to see the solution of your sets, effectively disabling this cheat mode, but still providing the solution tapes for those who know what to do (by changing the folder structure). :-o
I heard that story somewhere, and it is possible that it was not from Alan. I don't know. :oops: :wink:
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:(this deserves it's own thread BTW)
I've also been thinking about that for a long time now, but now I found a hopefully good place to split.
Original thread: viewtopic.php?t=1115