Getting two txt files on desktop whenever I play

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

cffdrnkr

Getting two txt files on desktop whenever I play

Post by cffdrnkr »

Hi Everyone,

I think the new 3.2 is GREAT!! Just downloaded it and downloaded the levels. Put everything in the same folder, under Program Files. That was a great idea. I had to, in the past make a shortcut for the desktop. Thanks for all the improvments.

One problem. Whenever I start to play I get two txt documents on my desktop. One is stderr and the other is stdout.

In stderr it says

rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorcascade.conf'

rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds/editorsetup.conf'

I did a search on my computer and editorsetup.conf cannot be found. The editorcascade.conf is in the Rocks'n'Diamonds folder.

In stdout, it's empty.

Any suggestions how to stop these files popping up each time???

Thanks again for all the improvements and a G-R-E-A-T game.

cffdrnkr
cffdrnkr

Forgot to add my system

Post by cffdrnkr »

Forgot to add I'm using a Windows XP SP2 with all updates on a 1.7 P4 chip with 1 gig of RAM and 80 gig HD.

Thanks again for any help on this.
Daniel H.

RE: Getting two txt files on desktop whenever I play

Post by Daniel H. »

Welcome to the Rocks 'n' Diamonds Forum, cffdrnkr! :D

We're happy that you like Rocks 'n' Diamonds!

stderr.txt is a regular file that appears a lot of times while playing Rocks 'n' Diamonds (sometimes even without anything going wrong). stdout.txt almost always appears when you exit Rocks 'n' Diamonds.

But they shouldn't be appearing on the desktop! :?

One idea: Maybe Rocks 'n' Diamonds doesn't have write access to the program directory. Normally, stderr.txt and stdout.txt appear in the program directory, but its possible that maybe they appear on the desktop when they can't put them with the program. :?: Does the user account ("Bill") have administrative privledges?

editorsetup.conf and editorcascade.conf are extra files that you can create that can allow you to do additional advanced features in Rocks 'n' Diamonds. They are not an important part of the game.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
cffdrnkr

Post by cffdrnkr »

Thanks Daniel

Seeing all these messeges makes me feel good. Knowing that I'm not the only one addicted to Rocks n Diamonds. Maybe someday it will come out on playstation (1,2 or 3) or disk.

Is there something I can do, do get them into the Program File directory instead of the desktop?

The game plays with no problems, just those txt files.

Thanks again for the help and explaintion on this, Daniel
cffdrnkr

Post by cffdrnkr »

Thanks Daniel

Problem solved.

I deleted the shortcut on my desktop, went into the Rocks' n' Diamonds folder, made a shortcut, moved it to the desktop. Started the game. No txt files popping up.

thanks for all your help once again and hope everyone has a great week.

cffdrnkr

Problem solved

:D
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I did a search on my computer and editorsetup.conf cannot be found.
> The editorcascade.conf is in the Rocks'n'Diamonds folder.

Sorry about that -- these are only warnings about files that are automatically created (as they are not found the first time). This is perfectly OK and the warnings can safely be ignored. I should change this to only issue a warning if running in debug mode or something like that. It's only confusing... :-/

> Any suggestions how to stop these files popping up each time???

Sorry again -- it's my fault! :-o

In previous versions of R'n'D, the program was started from it's own directory, where it created its output files. With the new installer, it seems that it creates the files wherever it was started from. I will change this so that these files are always created in the program's data directory.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by these two small problems! Hope you enjoy the game anyway! :-)
cffdrnkr

Post by cffdrnkr »

Holger

Thank you for your help on this.

It was a simple fix, just took me by surprize.

Glad you will change these files to go to the program directory.

Thanks again for a GREAT game and hours of fun.

cffdrnkr
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

cffdrnkr wrote:thanks for all your help once again
You're welcome!
cffdrnkr wrote:hope everyone has a great week.
Thank you! :)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I will change this so that these files are always created in the program's
> data directory.

Fixed that. Will be there in 3.2.1.
cffdrnkr

Post by cffdrnkr »

Thanks Holger