No posting as guest anymore -- what do you think?

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

wolf

Post by wolf »

Holger wrote:Emerald Mine moves its objects in eight small steps to make things smooth and allow for soft-scrolling of the screen.
Now I have the explanation for the fact that in Emerald Mine you can "touch" an enemy like a spaceship moving in the opposite direction - but only when the screen scrolls (and not always, ... :? ): At the touchpoint, the engine is scrolling and then jumps back to the frame touchpoint+1...
Holger wrote:... that the BD and EM engines are virtually bug-free, ...

Bug? Feature? It is like it is 8)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Now I have the explanation for the fact that in Emerald Mine you can
> "touch" an enemy like a spaceship moving in the opposite direction

So this really also works (sometimes) in the original Amiga Emerald Mine?

I thought this would only happen in the R'n'D engine...

> Bug? Feature? It is like it is

Yep! That's why they call it "trick" in the Supaplex community... ;-)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Ah, I thought that it will be what it is. However, I wasn't sure if it really is it, so I asked what is it, and now I know that it is what it is. (Or isn't it?) :)

I'm trying to make a BD clone (read: could get released in next 10 years), and I'd like synchronised movement because of its "bugfree-ness", so I'd like to ask: what actually are the disadvantages of synchronised movement? (Except that it may not react immediately.)

Looks like I'm getting off topic. Consider splitting the thread.
wolf

Post by wolf »

Holger wrote:So this really also works (sometimes) in the original Amiga Emerald Mine?
hmm...original...disks with one of the EMC-engines, yes. I think all of the EMC-engines. There are not many levels based on this "trick", but I played more than 10 levels with it, and the disks where randomly drawn from the EMC-collection. (I cannot point at an exact levelfile, my level-database has not yet developed from the think-about-it-stadium :-| )

The "leaving-the-playfield-trick" is also code-based, I think. [If there is no border-wall around the playfield on some places, leaving left let you enter the playfield from the right one row higher with the player invisible, but very vincible; leaving right, top or bottom let you die immediatly.]
Tomi wrote:Looks like I'm getting off topic.
Shh... I never thought to be off topic in Off Topic.. :D