Spammers...

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Post by Guest »

Welldone, you just won the stupidity award.
Now proceeding to block the address in your sig.

And Holger, please oh please find a way to add a simple set of questions for registration, im getting sick of these people...

They could at least take their time to read about the actual posts that have been made instead of pretending to know what they are talking about.
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

Just deleted all the posts of Malia49168 (all were obviously spam).

Holger: please delete that user, too.

Guest: I'm not quite sure if a simple set of questions might help that much.

I'd personally prefer blacklisting, the problem however is, we'd need a decent blacklist ;)
There's a spam-protection in the wiki that uses a blacklist that is kept up to date automatically, getting new versions from the wiki-project.

I have absolutely no idea, if there is any such mechanism for phpBB or any other BB at all :/
Last edited by Flumminator on Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Make an easy but random level.
If the user won he/she can register. 8)
And the answer is ... 42 !
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Actually a simple question which can be only answered by simply running the game would probably be good.

That way they would actually need the game in order to answer the questions, and i cant imagine anyone on these forums who DOESNT have R&D on their machine.

Something along the lines of

*What is the 3rd element across from the left under the boulderdash elements*

or...

*what is the 3rd option on the info screen*

Just simple questions like that, there are no screenshots that show such screens but if you have the game it would be VERY simple to just check, chances are these people wont even bother to download the game to find out.

Funny really, saying that reminds me of those old keycodes you got with amiga games, where you had to look at some form of reference grid you got with the game in order to continue.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Funny really, saying that reminds me of those old keycodes you got with amiga games, where you had to look at some form of reference grid you got with the game in order to continue.
Oh boy, don't remind me! As a kid I once copied the Jet-set Willy code sheet thing, all with felt tips........

JSW codes

Of course I made an error somewhere in it! ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Holger: please delete that user, too.

Done...

Not sure if it helps to ask R'n'D related questions. The last thing we want is making it hard for new users to join the forum. But even if it's an easy question, I would have to hack phpBB for this, which not only takes time, but must then be done for each and every new phpBB version; this will make it especially hard to do security updates (which are hard enough due to the "level sketch" patches)...

After activating the "type this number" feature of phpBB, there are a lot less spammers now; those "manual" spammers are hard to avoid (and not very often at the moment), so I think we can still delete those posts and users by hand.

Another point: Spammers can always post as guest, so making it harder to register to the forum does not help anything against spammers which spam as guest users. And deactivating guest posting seems to be a bad idea to me at the moment.

If it should get worse, I would have to re-think this, of course... :-/
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Hmmm... is that a phpBB bug or you've just clicked "Submit" button twice?
and btw I know PHP enough to be able to look at it... so I'll do if I'll have time.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Oops?! That post was there twice?? No idea why...

At this moment, I have a bit too much Feuerzangenbowle, but when I posted that post, there must have been some sort of temporary disorder in space-time to cause that... ;-) :-)

*hiccup* X-)