wrong borders on site

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Hi Martijn,
when you are ready with your site.
You should include this text on your site.
"Site maintained by Martijn, designed by Francesco"
Or write a book. "HTML main issues"...
And the answer is ... 42 !
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

lol, to be precise, it's me who should put a text like "I am refining my knowledge of Html + CSS thanks to the practice I've done on Martijn's site"... I've learnt a lot of things helping Martijn - because certain issues can be found only working on large and differentiated works like this.

By the way, Martijn has already said that he will give me some credit for the design.

Into half an hour or something more I am going to post the last fixes...

...here they are:

I felt a bit strange when I saw that IE and Opera rendered correctly the page (with the wider gap between menu and content) while FF rendered the #left box 10px bigger that its actual setting... I've looked for an hack - like adding a max-width to #left, but then I found that FF was right!

To fix it, remove "width: 100%;" from #menu.

-----------------------------------------

Well, FreeWareMacOsX, on your server, actually looks little different from the screenshot: you have set a larger padding to the image... nice idea, but it won't work on IE.

The following, in some way, fixes the game box and its contents, replace the existing chunks with these:

Code: Select all

.game img {
	margin: 13px;
	margin-top: 4px;
}

.game table {
	width: 99%;
	padding: 0px;
	margin: 5px;
}

.game {
	background-color: #553900;
	max-width: 90%;
	margin-left: 5%;   
	margin-right: 5%;   
	width: 100%;
	padding-right: 10px;
}
You could refine the above adding a pixel here, removing another there, but you'll never obtain the same layout on both FF and IE. Up to you, now!

By the way, I've seen that you have set the body width to a larger size than that I've said. Good work, it was a mistyping.

Another fix - just to quit an unneeded rule - remove "url()" from the bg rule of body.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

HerzAusGold wrote: when you are ready with your site.
You should include this text on your site.
"Site maintained by Martijn, designed by Francesco"
Or write a book. "HTML main issues"...
Well, this would suggest that he has made the whole site and that he gave me the job to update it from time to time... But I have created the whole content! :) He *only* (you understand why I use a * mark here, because he has helped very much) created the code, as I have always worked with an editor and therefore don't have much experience.

The site is still mine, but my intention is to share it as much with others! <spam>The site FOR as well as BY fans, so everyone who has new ideas, levels, or other fan stuff or suggestions, feel free to contact me about it and I will put it on the site!</spam> :)

And of course I will mention Francesco's (and Tomi's) name on my site and a link to his site of course.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Everything has been fixed now. Thanks, Francesco! I uploaded the pages and CSS files to the usual Temp directory.

Two (little) problems occured:

1. I gave another colour to the scrollbar and the border of the IFRAME on the index page (and I disabled the horizontal bar which appeared without reason). The scroll bar looks fine in IE, but now have a look in FF: it doesn't listen to the code! Do you know how to fix this?

2. I want the game tables to have the yellow thing (game th) straight above the description. Therefore, I played around by setting a margin-left to the game th and changing the width. Unfortunately, it doesn't supports commas in the width statement.
Now, it nearly looks good in Firefox, but the yellow thing is too far to the left in IE.
This is all not so very important, but it would be nice to have it all working very well.

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I think that these separate settings for the two scrollbars are not standard (but indeed very useful) so they aren't supported by FF.

The th cells are those containing the headers (even if they are at the side ;)) so I don't understand why you refer to them as yellow...
Francesco
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

well, I just mean those yellow cells next to 'Game Name:', 'Year of Publishing:' etc. Changing the game th width settings would also change their position.

So, do you have a solution for this? As 22,5% is not allowed...

And are you sure there is no way to let the scrollbars have another colour in Firefox? Well, it doesn't really matter, though it looks better with the other colours. But most users still use Internet Explorer, so there is no problem at all.

By the way, I made everything ready for the official launch. Now I also created the Commercial Unix page (which was the only remaining page that was still in development) so now I can officially launch my site and then go on extending it with all those things written down in the map with papers I have here.

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

well, I just mean those yellow cells next to 'Game Name:', 'Year of Publishing:' etc. Changing the game th width settings would also change their position.

So, do you have a solution for this? As 22,5% is not allowed...
Try with 22.5%, but I am not so sure.
And are you sure there is no way to let the scrollbars have another colour in Firefox? Well, it doesn't really matter, though it looks better with the other colours. But most users still use Internet Explorer, so there is no problem at all.
Sorry! I didn't check it out, and I mistaken it (I thought the problem was that FF rendered the horizontal scrollbar even if it was disabled) . I have to find info about it.
[edit: I can't find the place where you set that color! Neither I can find the way you have disabled the bottom scrollbar :shock: ok, I never ever used them... /edit]
By the way, I made everything ready for the official launch. Now I also created the Commercial Unix page (which was the only remaining page that was still in development) so now I can officially launch my site and then go on extending it with all those things written down in the map with papers I have here.
Glad to know! I'll be happy to check it out, eventually suggesting improvements.
Francesco
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I accidentally typed '22,5', but I meant '22.5'. It doesn't work either.

About the scrollbars:
On the News.html page I added this:

<STYLE>
BODY {scrollbar-arrow-color:blanchedalmond}
BODY {scrollbar-base-color:#D6A767}
</STYLE>
and

<body style="overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:scroll;">
And on the index.html page I put this:

<iframe name="News" src="News.html" style="border:1px solid sandybrown" height="300" width="60%" frameborder = "0">
Hopefully you know a solution. If you don't, then let me know and I will probably release the redesigned site tomorrow.

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

No, I'm sorry, I've just taken a look to the official CSS specs, and there is no trace of these rules.

Release the site, I'll gather more info about, and maybe we'll be able to fix it later with non-official but perfectly working CSS.
Francesco
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

The site has been released now - and also officially released (the Commercial Unix clones page has also been updated)!

Thank you very much for all your help you gave me! :D