boom.ru

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

boom.ru

Post by Alan »

STOP IT! PLEASE!

Holger, use this as a filter I beg you.......for the love of spam god!

Anything with the word boom in it...........why the hell is this forum targeted with such shite (all from russia), anybody?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Good question why this board is targeted so much, my own phpbb board has only been targeted with spam once (from Russia...), and that was for about 2 years ago...

Probably artsoft.org is not the very best friend for some people... I can't figure out why though...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> STOP IT! PLEASE!
> Holger, use this as a filter I beg you.......for the love of spam god!

I would do this if phpBB would offer such thing. :-(

To solve this problem (for this specific spammer), I would have to take the code and add it by myself, I'm afraid. Technically no big problem, but
- I have nearly no time for this
- phpBB (security) updates would be much harder

But I already consider doing it anyway -- this sucks so much. :-(

> Anything with the word boom in it...........why the hell is this forum targeted
> with such shite (all from russia), anybody?

You can be sure that the R'n'D forum is not the only one. phpBB forums are widespread, and I am pretty sure that those spammers have a list of phpBB forums to spam just as they have a list of mail addresses to send spam to. Be sure that this is no personal thing against artsoft.org. ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Good question why this board is targeted so much, my own phpbb board
> has only been targeted with spam once (from Russia...), and that was for
> about 2 years ago...

I think it's the same as with mail addresses. If you have luck (and don't have it linked at too many places in the web), you're not so much target of spam...

> Probably artsoft.org is not the very best friend for some people... I can't
> figure out why though...

As mentioned, I'm sure that this has nothing to do with sympathy or antipathy -- it's just spam to give those linked trash pages a higher page rank in Google.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Be sure that this is no personal thing against artsoft.org. ;-)
I never even thought this, until now....

I reckon it's to do with the words Rocks'n'Diamonds though....... it could be translated as Coke'n'Smuggling? :D , maybe it's the Russian Mafia? ;-)

I think Darkon was right and you should ask a few questions when making a new account, maybe they're just joining the wrong forum?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I reckon it's to do with the words Rocks'n'Diamonds though....... it could
> be translated as Coke'n'Smuggling? , maybe it's the Russian Mafia?

Maybe yes... ;-)

> I think Darkon was right and you should ask a few questions when
> making a new account, maybe they're just joining the wrong forum?

As I probably won't find enough time to hack those R'n'D related questions into the forum registration form, I have now decided to enable "visual confirmation" on the register page. This requires reading some letters and numbers from an automatically generated image and typing them in correctly. Let's wait and see. If we still get forum spam users now, we know that russian spammers either have very intelligent tools, or that it is incredibly cheap there to hire some people who manually type in all this bullshit all day long... ;-)