10%

Total votes: 20

atd

Post by atd »

I like free games for GNU/Linux :wink:
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Hm, how did I manage to miss this topic, oh well, I voted strategy
im not quite sure what an RPG would be listed under, adventure? strategy? im guessing strategy since it involves devising a plan of attack.

*note Im talking about Tactical rpgs, not those type where you run around attacking everything in sight
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Darkon wrote:*note Im talking about Tactical rpgs, not those type where you run around attacking everything in sight
And tactical RPGs would include which games...?
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Final fantasy tactics (playstation)

there was a new version for the gameboy advance, but its terrible in comparason to the original

Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts 2

all were playstation games, there are others but currently i cant remember their names

*EDIT* just remembered Blazing Heroes for the sega saturn

They are all turn based strategy RPG's which involve carefully selecting which characters to take into battle depending on their own unique skills and where to position characters to get the best effect from an attack.

An archer, you need to make sure noone is stood in its line of fire or else you could have a nasty arrow stuck in the back of one of your own characters.
a mage with an area attack, you need to position the character to ensure none of your own characters get caught in the magic blast e.t.c. or healing the enemy by accident.
attacking a character from behind is more effective than attacking from infront, means they cant dodge/defend however this also applies to your characters.
some games also have a height advantage, if your stood on a ledge slightly higher than your enemy, you can strike harder with a sword e.t.c and they cant hurt you as bad since they cant swing the sword up hard enough

Each area is set into a grid of squares, each character can only move a certain amount per turn

think it as a game of chess, with a complete makeover

*edit again, just remembered the below

The original japanese Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem (gba)

these 2 play alot different from the other games i mentioned however