HALO2

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Mark

HALO2

Post by Mark »

Anyone who has an Xbox will agree. Hats down to HALO2. What a great shooter! You can race, you can shoot, you can fly, you can even play soccer!!! Its the best game on Xbox.

In HALO1 combat evolved, you could't hold 2 weapons at once unless you had a modded xbox. Now, you duel wield weapons! You can use the swords the elites used in HALO1, the story is great untill the end, where you find out that its a cliff-hanger. Many people suspect that there will be a HALO3 for xbox2. I got the game exactly 17 minutes after it came out. Midnight Maddness was a succsess! Everyone should play this game! Its so much fun! Tons of secrets, nice graphics, a load of new weapons etc... AI is much more intelligent and the experience on legendary mode is insane! Well, what can I say... I beat it on legendary. Anyone else have this awsome game?
The Emerald King
bojster

Post by bojster »

Oh come one, I've already lived through an absurdly long thread about halo2 on amigagames.com (obviously off-topic), never in my life would I expect to see one on this board as well...
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just wondering how many people that are interested in R&D are also interested in HALO2. BTW: Do you have xbox live? Cuz if you do, my name is: SnuffyPuffer
The Emerald King
bojster

Post by bojster »

Nah, I only have a Linux box and Amiga 1200. And some board games.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:Oh come one, I've already lived through an absurdly long thread about halo2 on amigagames.com (obviously off-topic), never in my life would I expect to see one on this board as well...
...well, at least it's posted in the correct forum section :)

Don Quixote: Even though I don't have an XBox (or HALO2), I know two classmates who has...but they're not on this forum, and they will probably never be :P
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

bojster wrote:Nah, I only have a Linux box and Amiga 1200. And some board games.
so you never played supaplex on the pc??
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
bojster

Post by bojster »

I did, twice. First time it was ages ago at my cousins', second time was yesterday (funny you should ask that just now ;-), testing in on my dosbox (dos emulation program) - I only played the first level, the graphics are too ugly. I passed the whole Supaplex on Amiga and in RnD.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

oh nice! well, NOW the graphics are ugly because you are used to the improved rnd supaplex graphics but they were good in the old times...
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
bojster

Post by bojster »

Nah, I've seen enough DOS games to say that gfx was always worse (or even much worse) than in the very same games on Amiga. So the Supaplex gfx was ugly even then ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Nah, I've seen enough DOS games to say that gfx was always worse (or even much worse)
> than in the very same games on Amiga. So the Supaplex gfx was ugly even then ;-)

But in this case, the original Amiga version of Supaplex and the DOS port both have the same (game) graphics (menu graphics differ a bit), if I'm not totally wrong (just tested the Amiga Supaplex in UAE -- until today, I only knew the DOS version, although I have Amigas since 1987)...
bojster

Post by bojster »

Impossible. I'll put some screenshots (UAE vs. dosbox) when I overcome my laziness ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Impossible. I'll put some screenshots (UAE vs. dosbox) when I overcome my laziness ;-)

Yeah! I'm really interested, because I have no direct comparison at the moment. :-)
bojster

Post by bojster »

Took me 30 minutes to run Amiga version in UAE and it turned out that the level is broken (shows wrong gfx)... I took a few screenshots though (http://b.roger4.net/Supaplex/), but they don't proof anything apart from that the DOS version seems a bit squashed vertically ;-) Actually, the items in the tutorial are the same, so the gfx in game must be the same as well... I guess that was really because of RnD graphics of Supaplex objects that the DOS version seemd that ugly to me. Weird, though, that when I first launched RnD, I didn't notice any difference between the original gfx and this one... :?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Weird, though, that when I first launched RnD, I didn't notice any difference between the
> original gfx and this one... :?

A reason may be that you saw the Amiga/DOS Supaplex graphics on a TV or RGB monitor, but in any case on a not-so-good CRT monitor, which gives some sort of "analogue anti-aliasing" to the graphics (making them look better), while you now look at the same bitmaps with a better-quality CRT (or even TFT) monitor, making them look very "pixelized" and ugly.

I always note this effect when running Amiga games in UAE on my PC and compare it to exactly the same software on my original Amiga 1000 or 2000, where it usually looks much "better" (because one cannot see each single pixel).
bojster

Post by bojster »

Ah yes, that might be the case. I played all my Amiga games on a Commodore 1084ST monitor...