Desktop customization

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

Desktop customization

Post by Tomi »

I like making extraordinarily cool desktops much. I started this thread to describe and show you my desktop, but if you have extraordinary desktop too, post about it.

A screenshot: http://www.smnd.sk/tomi/files/rnd/deskt ... nshot1.png

Description and behavior:
I use the "K Desktop Environment" version 3.4.2 under Linux Mandriva, because I can customize almost everything. When I log in, there's nothing at all, just the wallpaper in the background, but no icons, taskbars etc. are "polluting" the view. The background is chosen randomly from a list of my favorite backgrounds. There are three hidden "toolbars" (see also the screenshot below), and a transparent taskbar on the top (it's transparent so when there aren't any windows, it looks like if it wasn't there). The transparent toolbar at the bottom is "main", it contains the Start menu, system tray, clock, etc. The right toolbar contains applications I don't use very often, plus two special buttons: "play/pause" and "logout". Each toolbar becomes visible when I hover my mouse over it. My Firefox browser uses "Noia eXtreme" theme. If you have more questions, just ask.

Well, what do you think about it? :wink: I hope you like it.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Missed this post!

Its very nice looking......but I'm a minimalist when it come to desktops. I've been using PowerPro for years now:-

PPro 1

It takes 1MB of RAM, %1 resources and %0 CPU time! (and loads in about 1 second). Every program, link, game and config I own is accessible from it. It resizes the desktop so its always visible in every app:-

PPro 2

But it doesn't appear in fullscreen so I don't have to turn it off to play games. From left to right I have:- files, shutdown, settings, diskdrive, info, current RAM (the black box), art, sound, text, games, net connection, email and all my links on the right (don't ask about the skull and crossbones ;-) )

It has its own scripting, hot keys, multiple desktops and everything else you ever need. Haven't used the Start button since I got it and the only icons on my desktop are My Computer and Recycle bin (can't delete these)

It also free:- http://powerpro.webeddie.com/