Forum not working properly?

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

Forum not working properly?

Post by Tomi »

In last few days, I sometimes encountered phpBB errors "can't connect to the database" on the forum, and the loading was awfully slow. Did someone else encounter this problem too? (Btw: If I remember correctly, several months ago it was similar, and it turned out that /var was full.)

*EDIT* As Alan said in other thread, it seems to be caused by bandwidth problems. Will it be solved somehow, or we'll just have to wait until next month (or whenever will it be reset)?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I haven't encountered that problem recently, but some days ago the artsoft.org server didn't seem to work at all...
Alan

Post by Alan »

Yes I've had lots of php database errors in the forum all week, and even artsoft.org disappeared at one point! (which rarely happens)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

As I was away last week and had no internet access, I cannot say what happened then; I also haven't asked my colleagues who also operate this server what might have happened. But indeed I encountered that timeout errors today, and had a look at the server then. I found nothing special, not even an unusually high system load (and /var at 14%).

I will have a look at this for the next time; maybe there's a problem with the web server or the database (or other processes) which I have overseen today.

BTW: I'm AFK for this weekend (Friday to Sunday, open air festival), so I can't monitor much before next Monday. Hope there won't be big problems these days...
RAP

Post by RAP »

I'vd encountered this problem too for the last few days, just like 2 days ago...
When I was browsing the forum, the sever in this site is rather slow and some
things are fading... (I really had DSL...)

So, days later... the forum runs back smoothly than slow.
Anyway... I wonder what causes it to slow the severs down... :?:
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Ryan P. wrote:Anyway... I wonder what causes it to slow the severs down... :?:
It could be bandwidth, but with all of these other problems, you never know...

I never got any database errors either, but I noticed that the server was not serving for a few days.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Jannik

Post by Jannik »

This morning http://www.artsoft.org was down again, at least between about 8 and 10 am (CEST). :?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yep, that's true unfortunately. The problem is that the machine apparently does not have enough RAM for the services it currently hosts -- www.artsoft.org is only one of many services on that box -- and therefore goes down far too often due to memory shortages.

The machine admins are already discussing solutions (adding even more RAM may be difficult as this is a very old machine), and hopefully it will get better one day in the hopefully not too far future... :-/
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Did you consider using another hosting service?