Current state of text based levelformats

Discussion around programming R'n'D, its source code and its tools.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

HerzAusGold wrote:dummyProperties.diamondcollector=false
dummyProperties.penalty=true
dummyProperties.destructable=false

... so it's more extendable..
I like that syntax. It is very readable and very parser-friendly at the same time, I think.
I don't see in what way it is more extendable than the others, though.
Steffest

Post by Steffest »

Hey HerzAusGold

Thanks for picking up the task to complete the list with the RnD elements.

I fixed the "add new element" form: All fields are insterted now in the first pass.

Inserting elements from a GET or POST request should work both.

Example: http://www.stef.be/projects/boulderflas ... ngines=RnD

note: clicking on the url above will insert a new element in the list, for updating an existing one, change the id=0 to the id of the element you want to change.

I'll add a batch update this evening, or maybe you have enough to worg with with the get url method.

oh and .... maybe you're going to need a "remove element" option too, hehe ... I

Steffest
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

About AMOEBA and BD_AMOEBA. I think, since in Boulder Dash, enclosed amoebas always convert to diamonds (unless it is changed with a Diego effect), it should be assumed, that AMOEBA also does this in RnD, and for a nonconvertible amoeba, there should be EM_AMOEBA instead, and we would unflag EM support for AMOEBA (the BD one).
It's a similar situation we have with BOULDER, EM_BOULDER and DIAMOND, EM_DIAMOND, I think.
There are EM_AMOEBA1 though EM_AMOEBA8 in the Emex subset. I'm not that familiar with EM, though it might be the element what we need, and one of them should be listed in EM instead of Emex.
Steffest wrote:oh and .... maybe you're going to need a "remove element" option too
But make it revertible, then. Just in case.
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

No need for a batch update, I think.
No need for a "remove element", this should always only done by admin.

But one thing you can add, a filter for search all names
with "WALL" or other (user input) included.

sorting over 2-byte-code should be case sensitive (or switchable)

sorting over ID should sort over ID. (It's always sorting over engine)

Thanks.
And the answer is ... 42 !
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Update a couple of RND elements.
up to SP_SPACE .
There are lot of elements outstanding... maybe next weekend.

Remove BD_AMOEBA and define EM_AMOEBA, EM_WALL, EM_EXPANDABLEWALL because this is extra selectable in RND editor
and have an different behaviour.

Update BD elements to the more fitting RND-ID.

Hope I define no duplicate 2-byte-Code.

Cheers
HerzAusGold
Steffest

Post by Steffest »

Hey!

Search filter on name is added (handy indeed)
Sorting on 2-char-code is now case sensitive
Sorting on ID is now a genuine sort on ID

I changed the names of DOOR_1 etc of the RnD elements to RnD_DOOR_1 etc, to clarify that RnD doors have different behaviour then EM doors.

EM_AMOEBA1 is indeed a standard AMOEBA in emerald mines, so I moved that to the EM subset.
I actually don't know in RnD how those different kind of RnD Amoeba's behave (Dry, Wet, Dead ... can you all use them together side by side in a cave?)
EM support for "AMOEBA" is now flagged off.

I changed some 2-char codes to remove some duplicates (Like the door and dynamite codes) Maybe sometime next week I'll add a check so that you can't enter duplicate codes.

I removed the image from the default table view to speed up loading times (you can still activate that on in the "filter" panel)

You can see every edit action now in a log: http://www.stef.be/projects/boulderflas ... action=log

If ever spammers would discover that page, I'll rewind their actions and put a password in front, but let's keep things open for now.

Thanks for your input HerzAusGold!

Steffest
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Search filter on name is added (handy indeed)
Sorting on 2-char-code is now case sensitive
Sorting on ID is now a genuine sort on ID
very usefull! Thanks.
I changed the names of DOOR_1 etc of the RnD elements to RnD_DOOR_1 etc, to clarify that RnD doors have different behaviour then EM doors.
For all new elements I set engine="RND".
So you can easy find new elements. From ID 402...
Please check and put elements "EM_...." to engine="EM"
if there is no duplicate.
I actually don't know in RnD how those different kind of RnD Amoeba's behave (Dry, Wet, Dead ... can you all use them together side by side in a cave?)
You can select it in editor and place it in one cave.
When I'm ready with inserting elements, I try to make an example cave.
I changed some 2-char codes to remove some duplicates (Like the door and dynamite codes) Maybe sometime next week I'll add a check so that you can't enter duplicate codes.
Maybe a seperate button which check for duplicates is better.
Because for insert, I want to insert the element (automatically), dont take a look for duplicates. Making adjustment to 2-byte-code dupl's later
by hand.
I removed the image from the default table view to speed up loading times (you can still activate that on in the "filter" panel)

You can see every edit action now in a log: http://www.stef.be/projects/boulderflas ... action=log

If ever spammers would discover that page, I'll rewind their actions and put a password in front, but let's keep things open for now.
Both is very usefull.
Thanks for your input HerzAusGold!
You put a credit on your side, so I have to do something for it... :wink:

Cheers
HerzAusGold
Steffest

Post by Steffest »

HerzAusGold wrote:
Maybe a seperate button which check for duplicates is better.
Because for insert, I want to insert the element (automatically), dont take a look for duplicates. Making adjustment to 2-byte-code dupl's later
by hand.
That's done: http://www.stef.be/projects/boulderflas ... duplicates

Crap ... 6 duplicates at the moment :-)

Oh, I moved everything to the (new) domain: http://www.emeraldmines.net/BDCFF/

The old urls still work though.

Steffest
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Update and insert some elements (more or less automatically).
Duplicates removed.

We should rename all Supaplex elements to SP_xxx
and all DiamondCaves elements to DC_xxx.

I have to check the elements against the Rnd list again, but this takes a little (maybe tonight).

Please delete the "-delete-" elements.
Btw: Update don't work via the given post (get) example. Can you check this, and give a new example.

Cheers
HerzAusGold
Steffest

Post by Steffest »

Hey !

Whoo! huge update!
There are 689 elements defined now.

You are right about the get/post update thing: I added a field this week and forgot to test for empty values.
It's working now. Example:

http://www.emeraldmines.net/bdcff/defau ... ngines=RnD

this wil update the element with ID 455 (PIG).
In this case it would change the name to PIGGY.

I think you added some duplicate elements now now?
e.g. the EM_EXIT_CLOSED and the EM_EXIT_OPEN are the same as OUTBOX and OUTBOXopen, no ?
if the exit in RnD behaves differently then in EM, then there should be an RnD_OUTBOX, but not an EM_EXIT_CLOSED. (because the EM exit is allready defined)

Cheers
Steffest
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

I'm now ready with RND element insert, so far.
There should be now all elements selectable in editor available.
The internal codes are actually not inserted. Need a "RNDin" selectable. ;)

Some problems to define the char's and steelchar's for Ä,Ö,Ü maybe,
because not all charsets (or countries) have them on keyboard.
What should we do?

Off course there can be duplicates and I want to check them all.
But someone have to dig it out...
Checking the "exit" thing soon.

What do you think about:
We should rename all Supaplex elements to SP_xxx
and all DiamondCaves elements to DC_xxx.

Please remove the examples, because someone already clicking on it.
See element id =487.

New Idea:
About the map and the object section.
I think they can coexists. If first the map comes and than the object section. The object section can set some special elements.

[map]
.P.
.E.
[/map]

[objects]
POINT=2 2 FIREFLYd
[/objects]
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

I think you added some duplicate elements now now?
e.g. the EM_EXIT_CLOSED and the EM_EXIT_OPEN are the same as OUTBOX and OUTBOXopen, no ?
if the exit in RnD behaves differently then in EM, then there should be an RnD_OUTBOX, but not an EM_EXIT_CLOSED. (because the EM exit is allready defined)
OUTBOX and OUTBOXopen are more BD style (unfortunately there is no "bd_exit" in RND, so the normal one is used)
EM_EXIT and EM_EXIT_CLOSED are more EM style (look to the image).

Don't find a EM_EXIT or EM_OUTBOX ? Can you give me the id?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

HerzAusGold wrote:New Idea:
About the map and the object section.
I think they can coexists. If first the map comes and than the object section. The object section can set some special elements.

[map]
.P.
.E.
[/map]

[objects]
POINT=2 2 FIREFLYd
[/objects]
Since you can define any map codes you like in a BDCFF file already, this is not really an argument.

However, there is another advantage in it: You can made level-specific edits, thus I defined a map object already:

Code: Select all

Map=x1 y1 x2 y2 [element] map

Fill a subsection with a map with char codes as in a [map]-section. The map begins in a new line.
If element is given, only draw this element, ie. all other characters are considered background.
Actually it's there since the BD2-extension by Rockford requires this, but it can be used for more than this. :)

Steffest should add a "cave objects" tab to his data base, so we would have a complete base for BDCFF definitions.
Steffest

Post by Steffest »

OUTBOX and OUTBOXopen are more BD style (unfortunately there is no "bd_exit" in RND, so the normal one is used)
EM_EXIT and EM_EXIT_CLOSED are more EM style (look to the image).
Yes, but the BD outbox and the EM outbox behave the same, so this is the same element (allthough they have different appearances in BD and EM) (just like STEELWALL is the same element, but looks different)

You will never have a level with both a BD_outbox and a EM_outbox.
And even if RnD would allow this, then this would be an RnD specific function, so you would be e.g. RnD_OUTBOX and OUTBOX.
If RnD would heve to make the difference, then it could do so by the "engine" attribute (if engine=EM then use the EM_exit, otherwise use the RnD_exit)

My point is to make the elementlist as small as possible, so that if someone want to make an EM compatible player, he/she should not have to worry about RnD elements. If there would be an EM_EXIT_CLOSED in the RnD element list, that would be very confusing.

If there still is a need for RnD to define both elements then the naming maybe would be better as RND_EXIT_ClOSED_emstyle .
Steffest should add a "cave objects" tab to his data base, so we would have a complete base for BDCFF definitions.
Indeed! That's something for next week.

See you
Steffest
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

@LogicDeLuxe:
Is a exit in BD destroyable?
If I remember correctly a EM exit is destroyable.

@Steffest:
To avoid any confusion, I can rename all defined EM_xxx elements for RND engine to RND_xxx (e.g. RND_EXITOPENemstyle).
But please can you check if no one is missed in the already defined EM elements. Like e.g. EM_Decor9 ?

I only upload my changes automatically, made (mostly EM_xxx) by hand offline.

New issue (??):
For the "envelope1..x" text we need a section in bdcff.