Maze creator

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Maze creator

Post by Francesco »

What a shame that RnDFA is down!

I've designed a maze creator and I've added a solver - it's the same solver that Tomi wrote, only that it needs less CEs.

-- You are able to walk the maze even during its creation.
The main part of it is made in few frames, while secondary parts are added few later.
-- At any moment you can touch the check button, which stops the growth of the maze and checks if it is solvable.
-- After touching the check button, look at the line reading "From A": well, when the "A" element changes to a red box you're sure that the level is solvable - if it doesn't, you could wait some more, but not all the mazes created are solvable. You can presume it is not solvable if it does not light up into a tenth of seconds.
-- After this, you can press the highlight button, which will show the path to the exit.

I have made two archives:
-- The first contains the Maze Creator in two ways, one "clear" - no building CEs visible - and the other with CEs exposed.
-- The second archive contains the levelset I've been working on (13 levels - including the two provided with the first archive).

I've been following the wrong idea for some levels, and finally I got a solution wich is really simpler and configurable - just play along with delays and "wall starters" positions.

Take a look to the second reply to this topic to get the links.
Last edited by Francesco on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Zomis

Re: Maze creator

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:What a shame that RnDFA is down!
It is!? :shock: ... No it isn't... it works well for me... was it down during the night?
(Sorry for replying anyways... shame on me :P)
I'm really looking forward to see the level though. Sounds great :)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

RnDFA is still down (is enough to see the missing summary image below Zomis' posts)

Anyway, here is a link to the levels on my server:
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/entuland/rnd/mazer.htm

Enjoy!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I suggest that you clean your cache and check my image again.
Or check http://www.zomis.net/rnd - It isn't down.
My summary-picture shows fine for me.
Thanks for putting it up anyways, I'm gonna check it out now :)

Edit:
Just checked it. Definetly a good start for CE Maze creation :D I think I'll investigate this technique further... looks interesting...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I'm happy that you liked it!
Feel free to improve it and share its evolutions with us all! Do you had a look even at the tryout levels? There is something interesting, I think that even if the first algorithms are too heavy they can be used in some ways... we'll see.

Anyway, the browser tells me that the server name can't be resolved, I can't access it neither from the RnD sub-address :( cleaning the cache didn't help...
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Impossible... I really forgot to upload it! :oops:
Well, I'm talking (writing) about a maze generator I've made few months ago...
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=403
Uses "hunt and kill" algorithm from the page mentioned in maze creator thread. Complexity of the algorithm requires 2 minutes to generate a 64x32 maze.
Unfortunately, the mazes it generates are mostly easy. Maybe adding line of sight would improve it... feel free to add it (I'm too lazy for that...)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Aargh! :evil: I still can't access the FA! what's going on with my system?
Nothing changes, even when using different browsers - MS-IE, MozillaFF, Opera---

I want to see that level!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:I want to see that level!
(My guess is that Francesco's ISP has a DNS problem).
I have sent the level to Francesco by e-mail, and I think he's looking at it right now.

Terrific level, Tomi! All that's missing is a solver to it! But that won't be so hard to add though :)
And by the way, I edited your level a little and made those blue blocks moveable... so the player can move on the maze while it's being created.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Terrific indeed, I tried something like that but gave up when I've found that way of making random mazes. I don't even know if this algorithm of mine can be called "maze" since it's really "not elegant". It's more like wandering into the tunnels that a bunch of worms carved into an apple... anyway...
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I've uploaded the Mazer 12-13 on to the FA.

By the way, I've made another maze creator, Mazer 18-19.
It features an automatic orthogonal grid, as you could see from the second level, which has the CEs exposed.
The mazes created are a bit more elegant than the first version, the first level takes 2-3 minutes, the second about 6-7.
Due to my CE's bugs, more passages are carved together, and the whole thing needs a trigger to check if the maze is complete.
Look at the lightswitches, while they are flickering, the maze is evolving.
If, about to the end, you see the two top lightswitches flickering altogether with the maze paths, maybe the whole cycle has gone looping. It's time to press the "stop" element to manually cut it.

Get it here:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=407
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I like that I don't solve every maze it creates in a minute (as opposed to my maze creator). I didn't examine the CEs very well, but it seems that you didn't use same randomization as me (which actually wasn't invented by me but instead used by Zomis in his random teleporter).

Btw, just to be sure, when I looked up "terrific" in dictionary, it said both "awesome", "mad", "horrible". I hope you mean the positive one...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi Tomi! Glad that you liked it.
Yes, it makes pretty nice mazes, but some times it makes really dumb ones (just one long passage with few splits). But I've never encountered a non-solvable one, and this could be a good thing.

I don't know what kind of algorithm I'm using - really - just gone on with tryouts.

For "terrific" I meant "awesome", I think that Zomis meant the same.

I tried the same way that you used - carving a passage per time and then starting a new one, and to be sincere I've tried a lot without success.
Then I've found the 12/13 method, really ugly.
The last one, Mazer 18/19, is more "technical", but I can't make it carve one passage per time: when a passage reaches a dead end, it sends a "stop" signal backwards on the path, starting new ones anywhere it can. Hope that someone could help me in solving this problem, because I think that the othogonal grid I've made could be really useful in making better mazes.
Feel free to ask, if you can't figure out how the whole thing evolves: I know that my CEs are a mess.

By the way: making mazes takes time, I think that could be useful a playtime speed switcher, so the frames pass quickier during the creation and the game is slown down to normal speed when the player has to solve it - just an out-of-place hint for Holger :)
Last edited by Francesco on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Tomi wrote:I like that I don't solve every maze it creates in a minute (as opposed to my maze creator). I didn't examine the CEs very well, but it seems that you didn't use same randomization as me (which actually wasn't invented by me but instead used by Zomis in his random teleporter).

Btw, just to be sure, when I looked up "terrific" in dictionary, it said both "awesome", "mad", "horrible". I hope you mean the positive one...
Ah, so that's the technique you use...? Nice. Good that my "inventions" come to use :)

Ah, yes... indeed I meant "terrific" as in "awesome". Actually didn't thought of that terrific also had a negative meaning..