Thought: Saving progress using CEs

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Thought: Saving progress using CEs

Post by Zomis »

I've had this thought in my head for a while, I've been thinking about putting it into action but haven't done that yet. So I'm now sharing my thought, maybe you can help me come up with a nice way to this...

The thought is, some places in the level you press a button (could be called "save point"). Now you get transported to another position in the map, some protected place used only for save points. When you press that button, a code generates (using numbers and/or text), this code is based on your progress in the level: Which save point you used, which keys you have, emeralds left, some CE data (maybe some CE counts?), some specific level stuff (like: Has CE change 5 for CE 12 occoured?), and maybe a little extra generated number to prevent cheating.

So for example, lets say we're using save point 3, we have only the first key, 50 emeralds left to collect, and CE change 5 for CE 12 has occoured, the code becomes:
3405013 (4 equals 1000 in binary, meaning only the first key of four keys).
The last 3 is generated by summing all digits and using modulus by 10.

So, what do you think? Did I inspire you? Feel free to make a level using this technique if you want... and maybe you've already thought about it yourself as well...
asiekierka_notlogin

Post by asiekierka_notlogin »

I better like other method:

If you press the save button the machine write a number of that.
Then if you press the teleport button in Netwars "LOOSER CORNER" machine teleport you to checker which automatic teleport you to save place.
If not found any number, it will teleport you to LOOSER CORNER.

This is easiest RND save method in the world and possible already in 3.1.1 with some CEs :-) .
For RND =>3.X.X too :-)

It's really good yeah?

For me its good.

Bye!
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Heh, guess why I needed that generator by indexes... yeees, exactly, for restoring inventory items from mission to mission in my advanced RPG levelset. Unfortunately, the project is suspended currently due to lack of other needed technologies.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Tomi wrote:Heh, guess why I needed that generator by indexes... yeees, exactly, for restoring inventory items from mission to mission in my advanced RPG levelset. Unfortunately, the project is suspended currently due to lack of other needed technologies.
Aaaah... I see :) Looking forward to see your levelset when it's complete..
Yes, maybe that generator could be used for that... but don't you need an element to number generator as well? (for saving). Or how do you solve the saving-part?
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

First I clone the element (with my text teleporter technique) to some special saving area and then I'll create a "msg:get my number"* element which touches it. The inventory element notices it and changes to corresponding number, which will then be teleported somewhere where the player can see it.
* - that's my idea of message elements. The message element disappears (= changes to nothing) when it does what it should.