RocksSP.png changed to make disk types easier to distinguish.

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BryanFRitt

RocksSP.png changed to make disk types easier to distinguish.

Post by BryanFRitt »

This change makes the disk type color also take up what was the white area, instead of a smaller strip at the top.

To use this change, replace(, or backup then replace) the ${rocksndiamonds_directory}/graphics/gfx_classic/RocksSP.png file with the file attached to this post. (May have to have R'n'D closed while doing so?)

This may help when using viewtopic.php?t=2221 Widescreen Mode 1920x1080 (zip).

${rocksndiamonds_directory}/graphics/gfx_classic/RocksSP.png
${rocksndiamonds_directory}/graphics/gfx_classic/RocksSP.png
RocksSP.png (33.45 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Edit: Right click on image and choose 'Save Image As...', or the equivalent for whatever browser you're using.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Eizzoux

Re: RocksSP.png changed to make disk types easier to distinguish.

Post by Eizzoux »

I think a nicer decision would be rather recoloring the blue body of the disk or just have a bit more distinguishable tops, because recoloring the white parts make it look a bit... bad... Not trying to criticize or anything, I can understand your frustration, but I feel like just coloring their entire heads just looks... wrong...
Heck, maybe even just adding symbols may work well enough.

disksssssss.png
disksssssss.png (25.05 KiB) Viewed 231 times
𒈟
filbo

Post by filbo »

Agree with Eizzoux, in that the originals look like real 3.5" floppy disks with labels; the proposed replacements look wrong. The white area is for writing in; labels with solid yellow or especially red would be less useful, so they were never seen.

I also think colors, whether solid or the original bar, are not great (what about people with weird color vision? Well I suppose the whole game is a bit troublesome for them, but making tiny improvements in that area is not wrong...)

The last row of Eizzoux's counterexample looks like the right approach: the original images with their original color strips plus a distinguishing mark. It's been long enough since I played Supaplex, I don't remember what we're actually trying to distinguish here, so I can't comment on the specific icons. But I guess they should probably be a bit darker, and maybe broadly colored to match the top bars? So that people who think of 'yellow disk' can still think that without a jarring change...
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Eizzoux wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 pm I think a nicer decision would be rather recoloring the blue body of the disk or just have a bit more distinguishable tops, because recoloring the white parts make it look a bit... bad... Not trying to criticize or anything, I can understand your frustration, but I feel like just coloring their entire heads just looks... wrong...
Now that you point it out, it does look somewhat weird...
Changing the color of the body instead probably look better. Also adding in symbols would help those getting to know what the various disks do. Would symbols for the various sizes that the 'red' look good in transitions? Perhaps doing both could be best?

My quick and easy edit to change the disk colors on these actually looked worse my quick and easy edit to fill in the label color. Although, I bet artistic efforts from more artistic persons would probably be the other way around.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.