"New Supaplex" gfx/mus/sfx

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

"New Supaplex" gfx/mus/sfx

Post by Eizzoux »

Graphics from random Supaplex clone "New Supaplex". Not supportable in Supaplex engine.
P.S.: some animations has too many frames so couple of anim frames are half-cut.
Don't try this at home, kids!
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: "New Supaplex" gfx/mus/sfx

Post by Holger »

Graphics from random Supaplex clone "New Supaplex".
Excellent! There are still quite a number of Supaplex levels that seem to be associated with "New Supaplex" or "Winplex" clones (which seem to be of Russian origin), for which I wanted to add exactly these graphics from "New Supaplex" -- so, thanks a lot for your work! These level sets and custom graphics will be added to the "Supaplex level collection" at a later time (together with an alternative custom artwork set containing the exact (not enhanced) original Supaplex graphics).
Not supportable in Supaplex engine.
Hm, not sure what you mean here -- your graphics also work fine when using the original Supaplex game engine in R'n'D for these levels. :-)
P.S.: some animations has too many frames so couple of anim frames are half-cut.
Yep, when using graphics and animations from other games, sometimes they have to be adjusted a bit to work perfectly as custom graphics in R'n'D.
Eizzoux

"New Supaplex" gfx in SP engine

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:27 am
Not supportable in Supaplex engine.
Hm, not sure what you mean here -- your graphics also work fine when using the original Supaplex game engine in R'n'D for these levels. :-)
I mean there are plenty of anims which just doesn't appear while playing this in Supaplex engine.
1. All Murphy's up and down anims (except snapping) are not supported,
2. Exit is closed even when it's open,
3. Snik Snak has only one rotation frame instead of 2,
4. No snapping anims for Infotrons and Red disks, these ones just instantly disappears,
5. Electron doesn't even have any anims except sp_electron, even if I made some moving and rotating anims (in SP engine with these gfx electron just faces to the right and moves with that animation all the time).
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I mean there are plenty of anims which just doesn't appear while playing this in Supaplex engine.
Ah, OK, now I understand it. Yep, that's right.

These are mainly limitations of the graphical possibilities of the native Supaplex game engine. Some of these limitations could probably be removed, some of them can not.
1. All Murphy's up and down anims (except snapping) are not supported,
2. Exit is closed even when it's open,
3. Snik Snak has only one rotation frame instead of 2,
Support for these animations could probably be added.
4. No snapping anims for Infotrons and Red disks, these ones just instantly disappears,
This can not easily be changed without breaking the engine, because the game elements disappear instantly. Try to snap an infotron with a zonk on top of it, and you can see that the zonk instantly starts falling down after snapping the infotron (which is not the case for "normal base", for example, which disappears in several frames).
5. Electron doesn't even have any anims except sp_electron, even if I made some moving and rotating anims (in SP engine with these gfx electron just faces to the right and moves with that animation all the time).
Same here -- although turning is not instantly (could be something like 4 frames, compared to something like 8 frames with the R'n'D engine), there's no "turning" graphic for electrons like it is for snik snaks in the original SP engine.

Support for this animation (even though a little bit shorter) could probably be added.
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:33 pm
This can not easily be changed without breaking the engine, because the game elements disappear instantly. Try to snap an infotron with a zonk on top of it, and you can see that the zonk instantly starts falling down after snapping the infotron (which is not the case for "normal base", for example, which disappears in several frames).
Wait, but in Supaplex collection I can clearly see as I snap an infotron the animation plays just like in normal R'n'D engine.

Ooh, I just checked that animation is just frozen and infotrons and red disks disappears not just at moment I snap them but after the snapping animation limit ends. The problem here is that the snapping animations for infotron and red disk somehow freezes on the main (or idle, I dunno) anim frame of these elements. I think I need to check the source configs...
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Sorry, not sure what the heck I was talking about regarding this issue -- of course there are snapping animations for both infotrons and red disks (in both the R'n'D and the Supaplex game engines). But I can see that there are no such animations visible in your test/demo set using the "new supaplex" graphics set when using the native Supaplex game engine.

Here's the solution:

Code: Select all

sp_infotron.collecting:                 sp.png
sp_infotron.collecting.xpos:            1
sp_infotron.collecting.ypos:            4
sp_infotron.collecting.frames:          7
sp_infotron.collecting.anim_mode:       linear
... and remove the "sp_infotron.snapping" definition.

The problem was the following: You have separate definitions for "sp_infotron.collecting" (one frame only, no animation) and "sp_infotron.snapping" (seven frames, animated), which work with the R'n'D engine as expected: No animation when collecting an infotron (by moving towards it), but animated snapping of infotrons.

The Supaplex engine does not distinguish between "collecting" and "snapping", so for both actions, the "collecting" animation is played (which is not animated in your graphics definitions). Using the above definitions cause both actions to be animated.
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 pm
Sorry, not sure what the heck I was talking about regarding this issue -- of course there are snapping animations for both infotrons and red disks (in both the R'n'D and the Supaplex game engines). But I can see that there are no such animations visible in your test/demo set using the "new supaplex" graphics set when using the native Supaplex game engine.

Here's the solution:

Code: Select all

sp_infotron.collecting:                 sp.png
sp_infotron.collecting.xpos:            1
sp_infotron.collecting.ypos:            4
sp_infotron.collecting.frames:          7
sp_infotron.collecting.anim_mode:       linear
... and remove the "sp_infotron.snapping" definition.

The problem was the following: You have separate definitions for "sp_infotron.collecting" (one frame only, no animation) and "sp_infotron.snapping" (seven frames, animated), which work with the R'n'D engine as expected: No animation when collecting an infotron (by moving towards it), but animated snapping of infotrons.

The Supaplex engine does not distinguish between "collecting" and "snapping", so for both actions, the "collecting" animation is played (which is not animated in your graphics definitions). Using the above definitions cause both actions to be animated.
Oh, of curse course! I missed the animations without even implementing them there (I'm a blind dude), that's a shame. And I also didn't even change the red disk's collecting animation frame count from 15 (original frame count) to 7 (twice less frames). I should do some kind of update for this resource set.

I also wanted to mention that buggy base in New Supaplex has constant active duration so the animation and sound for buggy base were made to be linear. But in R'n'D the duration of active buggy base is random so when the animation ends you need to wait some time without even knowing (or just hold the snapping button on needed buggy base until you snap it automatically) when the buggy base will actually deactivate (because the animation ends on normal base frame and you can't see when it really ends).

About sound: in New Supaplex the zapping sound plays when buggy base are only activating, but not while those are active. So I tried to do a little trick: set the sound to be playing on "sp_buggy_base.activating" with "mode_loop: false". Sadly, that didn't work, so I tried to set that sound for "sp_buggy_base.active", and again, with "mode_loop: false". And, you guessed it, that worked, but the game was just spamming the sound rapidly, which, of course, didn't sound good, and also it makes the sound play only if you're nearby an active buggy base even in R'n'D engine. So I had to leave the sound be looping while any buggy base is active on screen.

Oh, and just one more thing: how can I do collecting, dropping and active sounds for red disk without replacing "pong.wav", "deng.wav" and "zisch.wav" files? "sp_disk_red.collecting", "sp_disk_red.dropping", "[sp_default].dropping" and "sp_disk_red.active" attributes just doesn't work for me for some reason, it still just plays standard sounds so I only had to name needed sounds as original ones to replace them. I checked the "stderr" and found nothing about that. It only has single report about unrecognized music format of "playlist.m3u" I left, maybe, for future updates (if my idea about that I listed in New Ideas would be actually implemented) and multiple reports about unknown token found in editorsetup.conf "sp_murphy_clone" (I just forgot to delete it after creating). But nothing about "sp_disk_red.collecting", "sp_disk_red.dropping", "[sp_default].dropping" or "sp_disk_red.active".

I also could mention that New Supaplex has it's own snapping sound I also tried to implement in this set but this feature is actually not that important...
𒈟
Eizzoux

Update for New Supaplex gfx/mus/sfx

Post by Eizzoux »

Finally got resources from one of older versions which actually contains different snapping and dropping animations AND the actual different sniksnak.
Screenshot
Screenshot
ksd.png (424.88 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
23789__new_supaplex_updated_by_tog__67589.rar
Download
(4.59 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
𒈟