IDEA: Color coded LEVELSET numbers in main page

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BryanFRitt

IDEA: Color coded LEVELSET numbers in main page

Post by BryanFRitt »

IDEA: Color coded LEVELSET numbers in the main screen

If the numbers for the LEVELSETs are clicked on a list of levels in the LEVELSET will appear.
These are color coded. (at least in the version I'm using)
Green is completed.
Yellow is attempted but not completed.
Red is not attempted.
The main ROCKS'N'DIAMONDS menu could also use these colors on the LEVELSET level number for representing the level completion status.

P.S. maybe the LEVELSET name could be on the main page too?, and maybe switch the Red and Yellow colors?, and rename LEVEL CREATOR to LEVEL EDITOR?

What I'm calling the main screen:
NAME:
LEVELSET
HALL OF FAME
LEVEL CREATOR
INFO SCREEN
SETUP
QUIT
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Eizzoux

Re: IDEA: Color coded LEVELSET numbers in main page

Post by Eizzoux »

BryanFRitt wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 pm These are color coded. (at least in the version I'm using)
Green is completed.
Red is not attempted.
The main ROCKS'N'DIAMONDS menu could also use these colors on the LEVELSET level number for representing the level completion status.
Not really that neccessary, especially when you save tapes after completing each level, so you can look at the tape player on the bottom right. Also, if you complete the level, you register the score record in the Hall of Fame, so (for me) this idea is pretty much useless (like the PAUSE text in the center of the screen idea I suggested couple years ago).
BryanFRitt wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 pm P.S. maybe the LEVELSET name could be on the main page too?, and maybe switch the Red and Yellow colors?
Wait, you mean the name of the current levelset you're currently playing? But it's already displayed above the level preview in the main menu. But if you want it to be, like, on the top like the title of the game itself, you can just use this little visual tweak that does that (just saying): [link]
BryanFRitt wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 pm and rename LEVEL CREATOR to LEVEL EDITOR?
Not really that neccessary, but would be indeed kind of better (I'm not actually sure about this one)
It would be even better if we could just change every main menu text button ourselves. As an example, Alan Bond's Zelda II and Jue's R'n'D jue has very unusual button placement and different texts on them, but they didn't make them light up when selected. (In R'n'D jue only the button starts glowing, the text doesn't change color at all because it's a part of background, not the real menu element)
𒈟
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Eizzoux wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 am Not really that neccessary
Reminds me of https://xkcd.com/1172
Nothing is really necessary, a better question would be "How helpful is it?"
Eizzoux wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 am Wait, you mean the name of the current levelset you're currently playing? But it's already displayed above the level preview in the main menu. But if you want it to be, like, on the top like the title of the game itself, you can just use this little visual tweak that does that (just saying): [link]
That works, but I can't use my preferred graphics artwork at the same time. :(
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2221
I tried the quick hack of simply appending the 'Levelset title on the top' graphicsinfo.conf file to the 'Widescreen Mode 1920x1080' graphicsinfo.conf file, but that didn't work.

oh... I see... 'classic graphics artwork' has this information with the preview, but the 'widescreen graphics artwork' doesn't, at least with my hack on it that gets the preview back. I think I might like it better with this info around the image.
How can I modify things to make it work?
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

BryanFRitt wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 pm These are color coded. (at least in the version I'm using)
Green is completed.
Red is not attempted.
Another color could be used to represent that there's a not a tape saved for a played level, like ... Orange.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

This concept could be extended to "LEVELSET" as well.
If the LEVELSET hasn't been played, it is in RED
If the LEVELSET has been played but doesn't have any tapes, it is in ORANGE
If the LEVELSET has been played and has a tape somewhere in it, or has a level that's been finished, it is in YELLOW
If the LEVELSET has been completed(all levels finished), it is in GREEN
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

BryanFRitt wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:23 pm This concept could be extended to "LEVELSET" as well.
If the LEVELSET has been played and has a tape somewhere in it, or has a level that's been finished, it is in YELLOW
Pretty good idea, but the colors in the LEVELSET menu mean something different. The color depends on the value of sort priority you registered in the graphicsinfo of levelset. There're few different sorting type groups: Tutorials, Classic Originals, Contributions, Boulder Dash, Emerald Mine, Supaplex, DX Boulderdash, Private levels, Unknown level class...
𒈟
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Eizzoux wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:39 pm
BryanFRitt wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:23 pm This concept could be extended to "LEVELSET" as well.
Pretty good idea, but the colors in the LEVELSET menu mean something different. The color depends on the value of sort priority you registered in the graphicsinfo of levelset. There're few different sorting type groups: Tutorials, Classic Originals, Contributions, Boulder Dash, Emerald Mine, Supaplex, DX Boulderdash, Private levels, Unknown level class...
Either one of these color schemes could also be applied to the word "LEVELSET" on the main screen. (not saying it would be a fully nice idea, as this would mess up the yellow representing what is 'selected', and green what is 'not selected')