[4.0.0.1] Global anims freezes in Main Menu

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

When I enter main menu (from title, info screen, setup menu or something else) the global anims freezes. They will unfreeze only when I press Up, Down, Left, Right, Enter or Space (Start level).
How does this happen?
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!

Holger
Site Admin

Re: [4.0.0.1] Global anims freezes in Main Menu

Post by Holger »

When talking about "global anims", do you mean the classic "toons" animations? Or do you mean some self-defined custom global anims?

In case of custom defined animations, an example level set that triggers the bug would help a lot.
Eizzoux

[4.0.0.1] Global anims freezes in Main Menu + Video

Post by Eizzoux »

This video shows two different bugs of these global anims (not toons)
https://youtu.be/XYPrAeXd6ok
1) After TITLE, SCORES, SETUP, INFO, LEVELNR and etc. these animations in MAIN menu just freezes
2) After PLAYING animations in MAIN menu just disappears

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Looks strange indeed! :-o

Can you reproduce this effect with a minimal level set, i.e. that only contains your global animation additions? If so, could you please attach it here? Then I can debug it...
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Okay, here it is: Clickbait

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Wow, that one was tough, and required quite some debugging. :-o

In fact, it has nothing to do with global animations definitions, but with the doors -- the following part of your "graphicsinfo.conf" is enough to trigger that bug:

Code: Select all

viewport.door_2.x:                      -800
viewport.door_2.y:                      -800
The reason for the bug is a bit complicated and has to do with the fact that nothing (besides global animations, and toons) has to be drawn in the menu when it freezes, while the door animation drawn before was completely outside the screen, which triggered a race condition that prevented screen updates (including global animations) until something has to be drawn again (by graphical changes caused by moving the "cursor" in the menu).

This bug will be fixed in the next release version. Until then, the bug can be prevented by not defining "door_2" to be located off-screen. (To get rid of one of the two doors, move "door_1" off-screen and show game buttons inside "door_2" by using "tape.show_game_buttons: true".)
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Welp, that was true. I just moved door_2 to (0;0) with size 1x1 px and it worked perfect!
But I have a little different idea about that. I can combine playfield, door_1 and door_2 into one like playfield with interface from door_1 (I'm not sure about this variant) or editor palette and tools in one (what I already did) so I can just put the buttons like "play demo", "stop demo" or "pause demo" right into "playfield.MAIN". I should try that...