no docs for elements in debian package

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

armanelgtron

no docs for elements in debian package

Post by armanelgtron »

When you install rocksndiamonds from the debian package, it does not include the docs/ folder in /usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/. I have not tried the Ubuntu deb package.
filbo

Re: no docs for elements in debian package

Post by filbo »

Same on Ubuntu. The Ubuntu package descends linearly from the Debian.

But I think this is more a bug in RnD itself. The top-level Makefile has a bunch of targets which refer to ./Scripts/make_{backup,dist,enginetest,levelsketch_images,prerelease}.sh -- but ./Scripts/... is not pulled by `git pull`, nor did it appear in any of the pre-git source tarballs I used to download.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> When you install rocksndiamonds from the debian package, it does not include the docs/ folder in /usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/.

That's right. (And yes, same with Ubuntu, at least 12.04 LTS.)

Apparently the package maintainer forgot to bundle it with the package... :-o

But I don't think that this is a bug in R'n'D. I've just freshly cloned the R'n'D source from git, and it not only contains the "docs" folder, but also uses its element descriptions in the editor, for example.

This should have nothing to do with a potentially missing script, as it is all statical data.
filbo

Post by filbo »

Perhaps the bug can be described as "no `make install` target in Makefile".

Instead, the packager has to figure out what parts of the source tree constitute a working game setup.

So perhaps they should refer to the installable packages on your site? Well yeah. But those include source, and that isn't the installation model on Debian or Red Hat (I single those out only because I know it isn't the model on those; and I know it is the model on distros like Gentoo and LFS, so I can't just make a blanket statement...)

So they have to figure out what to put in, what to leave out (starting with src/...), and it's natural to get it wrong for docs/...

I'm not near (and can't reach) my RnD box right now, so I shouldn't even be posting this! When I have a chance, I'll compare the actual contents of Debian/Ubuntu binary package vs. artsoft.org downloadable package, and post bug reports into the distros.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, maybe you're right about the missing "make install" target.

And then it may be that the directory name "docs" is a bit misleading, as it is not something that a distribution would place into "/usr/share/doc/rocksndiamonds" (like general game documentation), but part of the game data (even though R'n'D also runs fine when it cannot find the contents of the "docs" directory).