wrong bug explosions

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

dave

wrong bug explosions

Post by dave »

when everything explodes, the result is wrong. it should be:

the rnd engine has lots of explosions and then the wrong result. the old emerald mine engine in rnd also gets it wrong.
(the correct explosions can be found from my lastest engine, and also the kingsoft disk in uae)
Forty-niner

Post by Forty-niner »

I'm not sure if what happens really is wrong. Is it that only 1 diamond appears and the rest are emeralds? Well, that's probably because the bugs really explode after each other, you just don't see it. Therefore each explosion destroys the previous diamond. Yours would make sense if the bugs on the corner were the "last" ones to explode.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

The emerald mine engine in Rocks'n'Diamonds should still probably be corrected to match the original Emerald Mine engine.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
dave

Post by dave »

Daniel H. wrote:The emerald mine engine in Rocks'n'Diamonds should still probably be corrected to match the original Emerald Mine engine.
i fixed it [my engine] ages ago but it hasnt been integrated into rnd. as for the rnd engine, is it trying to be compatible with emerald mine too?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > the rnd engine has lots of explosions and then the wrong result. the old
> > emerald mine engine in rnd also gets it wrong.
> > (the correct explosions can be found from my lastest engine, and also the
> > kingsoft disk in uae)

> The emerald mine engine in Rocks'n'Diamonds should still probably be
> corrected to match the original Emerald Mine engine.

Yes, I agree!

> i fixed it [my engine] ages ago but it hasnt been integrated into rnd.

As soon as I will find the time to replace the old engine with the new one, I will do it. (It will be quite some work to integrate it, but maybe it's easier than I think it is at the moment. :) )

> as for the rnd engine, is it trying to be compatible with emerald mine too?

It once did, but not anymore -- see more details in my reply here:
viewtopic.php?p=11777
filbo

Re: wrong bug explosions

Post by filbo »

Trying to figure out some buggy behavior in EMC levels, I ran across this. Dave (I assume that's David Tritscher who is credited for the EMC engine in RnD?) shows a square of bugs with a lit dynamite in the middle, and what the exploded result should look like; and says that his latest (back then) updated EMC engine for RnD does this right.

But current RnD out of git still produces a "wrong" result. Using the EM engine I get a single explosion and a 5x5 square of emeralds with one diamond at [4,4] (if the lower right corner is [5,5]). Using the RnD engine I get a series of explosions resulting in 5x5 emeralds with two diamonds, left and right of center (i.e. [2,3] and [4,3]).

The RnD engine result is presumably correct-by-definition; anyway, I'm not here to question it. Only to ask whether Dave's updated engine ever did get integrated; if not, why not (Holger's time, probably, but ... is it coming?); and if so, then why doesn't it match Dave's description of behavior here?

I guess I should take it as a hint that in thread viewtopic.php?p=12700 you are talking about integrating a native Boulder Dash engine, and here we are 4.8 years later, no BD engine in the pulldown.

Augh. Reading on in #12700, I see the fight between Dave and everyone else, which perhaps explains why the EMC engine in RnD didn't advance. Which means I am probing at an old and sore wiggly tooth. Sorry. I think I've even questioned this before -- not being steeped in the code / lore, I forget over time.