CE gets actuallized, if it is entered by the player

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

richard

CE gets actuallized, if it is entered by the player

Post by richard »

Hmm... that is a bug, that can cause a global cheat problem.

Set 2 CEs.

CE 1 is enterable.
CE 2 explodes 1x1 (not 3x3, else player would die) to itself, if it is touching CE 1.

Place CE 1 next to CE 2. Than enter CE 1 some times, and you see the bug.
CE 2 explodes whenever you enter CE 1, cause CE 1 becomes always actuallized, that is a cheat-bug. I have made CEs, that can be cheated out.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

This "bug" makes perfect sense to me, and I'm not sure how it's possible to cheat using this bug.
But well, maybe you're right...maybe this behaviour shouldn't appear...? Holger?
richard

Post by richard »

This "bug" makes perfect sense to me...
...if you want to cheat.
I know what I say, trust me, it is a bug/bad behaviour. I make every day levels with CEs.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

richard wrote:
This "bug" makes perfect sense to me...
...if you want to cheat.
I know what I say, trust me, it is a bug/bad behaviour. I make every day levels with CEs.
That was not how I meant, sorry for being unclear. I meant that I totally understand why the game behaves like this, it's not a big shock. But if the behaviour should be like this or not, I'm not sure so I let Holger decide. I think I agree with you though Ric, that this should be changed.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

What can be called "bug" here is the fact that "touching" is not checked at the start of the game, which will probably changed some time.

The behaviour you have observed is normal in the way that a tile entered by the player is (besides other checks) checked against "touching" with adjacent tiles. As non-moving tiles are not checked against "touching" either, the change won't take place before the player enters that tile.

> This "bug" makes perfect sense to me, [...]
[...]
> I meant that I totally understand why the game behaves like this, it's not a big shock.

Because you understand how the engine works in this situation... ;-)

> [...] and I'm not sure how it's possible to cheat using this bug.

I'm also curious to the answer to that question. Richard?
richard

Post by richard »

Phew, I knew you would to ask for... :)

http://de.geocities.com/richardkleber/Downloads/

File: Bugs.zip
Level 4 and tape 4.
Use the tape please.

OK, it´s about a knife, and durable walls (means walls, that must be 8 times hit by the knife, to destroy it)

Have a look at the tape, there is that cheating I spoke of.
And please don´t tell me to make the "knife slash" unwalkable, that would make my whole new module badder if you use the knife during moving and etc. :wink:

Holger, by the way, that bug/whatever is really nasty, it could cause problems in future CEs... and actually mine too. :!: