"Soft Scroll OFF" Setting causes weird behavior wi

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Shamis

"Soft Scroll OFF" Setting causes weird behavior wi

Post by Shamis »

EXCELLENT, AWESOME PORT OF THIS AMAZING GAME!!! So wonderful that I feel it is my duty to report what seems to be a bug in an otherwise nearly flawless program.

When the "Soft Scroll" setting is set to "OFF", the "Mail Envelope" element exhibits strange behavior. First, before I realized that that setting was the culprit, the screen would go blank in the play area when the message is displayed, and then when it is closed, the elements would only gradually reappear as their images animations are refreshed. Now that I have turned it on and back off, a sand-filled playing area with no other elements is displayed with the player at the top (regardless of its position on the game playing field), and the same gradual reappearance of the elements occurs.

(Before anyone suggests this, my processor speed is much too slow to turn soft scrolling on, thank you. :-) )
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> EXCELLENT, AWESOME PORT OF THIS AMAZING GAME!!!

Thank you. :-)

> So wonderful that I feel it is my
> duty to report what seems to be a bug in an otherwise nearly flawless program.

Don't hesitate to report bugs! It helps me to keep the quality of the game!

> When the "Soft Scroll" setting is set to "OFF", the "Mail Envelope" element exhibits
> strange behavior. First, before I realized that that setting was the culprit, the screen would
> go blank in the play area when the message is displayed, and then when it is closed, the
> elements would only gradually reappear as their images animations are refreshed. Now that
> I have turned it on and back off, a sand-filled playing area with no other elements is
> displayed with the player at the top (regardless of its position on the game playing field),
> and the same gradual reappearance of the elements occurs.

Oops.

To be honest, I did not expect anybody still using the old "soft scroll: off" option. This is a very old option which I wanted to remove long ago...

> (Before anyone suggests this, my processor speed is much too slow to turn soft scrolling
> on, thank you. :-) )

But it seems that there are still people who need this option to be able to play the game! :-o :-(

BTW: How fast is your computer (and, also important, your graphics card)?

For example, my own observations are that R'n'D is still playable with soft-scrolling on a AMD K6 with 200 MHz and an old ATI (non-3D) graphics card (model "Xpert@work", to be precise). I get around 90% of the original speed and the game can be played relatively good on this system. On slower systems it starts getting unplayable, though.