Bizarre Graphicinfo.conf Bug

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

Bizarre Graphicinfo.conf Bug

Post by Alan »

Putting a backslash (or is it forward) "\" into a comment in the graphicinfo.conf, destroys the element(s) near it!

#--- rotate apple \ to /
custom.20: apple.pcx
custom.20.xpos 10

The apple animation will now be freaked out (random dirt, yamyams etc). This took me a whole day of trial and error to suss this out. Let's face it, who would suspect the comment line?
I think it also stops you adding any new graphics, because I couldn't do that either.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Putting a backslash (or is it forward) "\" into a comment in the graphicinfo.conf, destroys the
> element(s) near it!
>
> #--- rotate apple \ to /
> custom.20: apple.pcx
> custom.20.xpos 10

Are you really, really sure that it was exactly like in the above example? Especially, if the "\" and "/" were not switched?

Because a "\" (backslash) character as the very last character on a line in a configuration file causes the parser to continue that line on the next input line (although it could be discussed if this is correct behaviour if the "\" was found after a "#" character, which starts a comment, or if *all* characters after the "#" should be ignored, including the trailing "\" character).

> The apple animation will now be freaked out (random dirt, yamyams etc). This took me a
> whole day of trial and error to suss this out. Let's face it, who would suspect the comment
> line?
> I think it also stops you adding any new graphics, because I couldn't do that either.

Could you please check this case with the above information?
Alan

Post by Alan »

Not 100% sure, because I later found out I had made more comments with both forward and backslashes in them, and it seems OK when I put them in now. Very odd.