door

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zesam

door

Post by Zesam »

if trying to pass a door who is passable, in the sametime something block the way the player stay in the door...
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Yes, I know what you mean. It could be considered as a bug as well as a trick. In the future RnD will have three classic game engines (Boulder Dash engine, Emerald Mine engine, Supaplex Engine). These engines are pieces of programming code so that levels which were officially not designed for RnD can be played with their own programming code with their specific behaviour.Then only the remaining levels (the levels which weren't officially designed for Boulder Dash, Emerald Mine or Supaplex) will contain this 'bug'. But then I don't see is as a bug anymore, but as a trick in Rocks 'n' Diamonds.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

It's the same as with the "speed bug" (player getting double speed when snapping a gate) -- some consider it as a bug, some as a "hidden feature" or a trick and use it in their levels. That makes bug fixing very hard (because older levels may be broken by the bugfix). If there is a reasonable use of a bug to use it as a "trick", I usual add a checkbox in the editor to control the desired behaviour.

In this case, I would consider it as a bug that should be fixed. (This bug could not happen in the original EM engine due to the technical implementation of "jumping through a gate" as being one single move which could not be interrupted by an object moving into the target field. In R'n'D, it's implemented as _two_ independent moves with _double_ speed, so after the first move, there may be another object on the target field, blocking it. This has also to do with the fact that R'n'D is an asynchronous engine, while the original EM engine is a synchronous game engine (all objects start moving in the exactly same game frame).)