pre-3.2.0

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:Do you think that it should be possible to walk diagonally in the new EM engine (like with "normal" R'n'D levels), even though this wasn't possible with the original Amiga engine? I think this should not cause any real compatibility problems, but would probably improve the gameplay a lot. Any comments by others on this one?
I think it doesn't have much sense to make the engine compatible with all its imperfections. As I said before, if we can improve it and it will still work (as opposed to many levels with the RnD-EM engine), let's do it! Of course it doesn't directly apply to the Supaplex engine, because the 'bugs' are used as the tricks in fan levels, but I guess EM levels are plain enough that such tricks aren't used (or do they even exist?).

I'm eagerly waiting for the new pre-release, it's not very tempting to test this one if I die after entering the exit ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> [...] I guess EM levels are plain enough that such tricks aren't used (or do they even exist?).

I have heard that it was possible to design levels where you were able to leave the playfield at the one side and re-enter it at the opposite side ("wrap-around") by using the fact that there are no border checks (but only steel wall borders which can be removed in the editor), but I never saw any actual level using this "feature" (bug). But there are most probably far less "quirks" compared to the Supaplex engine, as the EM engine is synchronized and has therefore a lot less "special cases" in the code which are not foreseen by the programmer.

> I'm eagerly waiting for the new pre-release, it's not very tempting to test this one if I die after
> entering the exit ;-)

I'll see that I release a new one this weekend (this issue is already fixed in my current working version) -- unfortunately, I was working the whole day and evening the last two weeks for my new employer, so all R'n'D things had to wait... :-/