[MM] problems with drawing beam correctly + beam leaves some traces

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

[MM] problems with drawing beam correctly + beam leaves some traces

Post by Eizzoux »

Laser beam in MM sure has some problems:
  1. Laser beam kinda bends in the end if you point it at an absorbing wall, lock, block or grid. I'm guessing that was made to prevent other glitch to happen I listed here.
    mmprob1.png
    mmprob1.png (6.55 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
  2. Laser beam kinda cuts corners of MM grids. I replaced normal grids with walls with a gap between, which are actually 4x4 pixels bigger that normal grids, so you can't see black cuts on normal grids.
    mmprob2.png
    mmprob2.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
  3. This one only works in most recent dev version (2018.09.28 build). Now the same glitch kinda happens to DF mirrors. I was replaying all 60 Deflektor levels, and I got these little black traces few times (especially on level 57). I was replaying DF levels several times on 4.0.1.0 before, and that never happened in there.
    mmprob3.png
    mmprob3.png (130.82 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
  4. The laser beam leaves huge and long traces on the entire level while replaying tape in Blind Warp Forward. Here I tried to catch a screenshot because all these lines resets on pause.
    mmprob4.png
    mmprob4.png (41.72 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
    𒈟
    Holger
    Site Admin

Re: [MM] problems with drawing beam correctly + beam leaves some traces

Post by Holger »

Laser beam kinda bends in the end if you point it at an absorbing wall, lock, block or grid. I'm guessing that was made to prevent other glitch to happen I listed here.
    No, it is because the laser beam is a few pixels wide, and if the center of the beam would be at the exact mirroring point, either the beam would overlap the wall a few pixels, or it would have to be taken care of not overlapping it somehow (which would be possible, but would be a bit tricky). Look at the same beam with a reflecting wall instead of the wooden one.

But you are right that this could be graphically improved.
    Laser beam kinda cuts corners of MM grids. I replaced normal grids with walls with a gap between, which are actually 4x4 pixels bigger that normal grids, so you can't see black cuts on normal grids.
    Unfortunately, you're right here. This should definitely be improved to not cut the corners. :-/
    This one only works in most recent dev version (2018.09.28 build). Now the same glitch kinda happens to DF mirrors. I was replaying all 60 Deflektor levels, and I got these little black traces few times (especially on level 57). I was replaying DF levels several times on 4.0.1.0 before, and that never happened in there.
    I think you mean 4.1.0.0, not 4.0.1.0 (which does not contain a MM engine yet). I was able to reproduce this problem just as easy in 4.1.0.0 (and indeed there are no MM related changes since then).

It's the same bug as (2.).
    The laser beam leaves huge and long traces on the entire level while replaying tape in Blind Warp Forward. Here I tried to catch a screenshot because all these lines resets on pause.
    Indeed, haven't tested this case before. Some nasty redraw problem that should be fixed, too.