Some more R'n'D 4.1/MM 3.0 bugs

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Some more R'n'D 4.1/MM 3.0 bugs

Post by Eizzoux »

There're some more bugs I can't get rid of or some just doesn't even make any sense at all and all that can get really annoying because of some... cancerous (sorry for that word) compatibility behaviours...
  • ".tile_size" attribute needs more work on it because there're some problems that can affect other attributes and freak them out. For example, if I use ".tile_size" for player_1 in Rocks64Heroes.png, this image file will have some issues with using this file for toons, menu buttons, elements' panel icons and any other graphics you could script in graphicsinfo.conf. If you'll try using ".tile_size" for menu.[button] when the current file was already used for in-game elements, this button will be shrank twice (total opposite of ".scale_up_factor:2") and also it will use 128x128 sprite instead of 64x64 (4 tiles at once). Pretty much same thing happens if you'll try taking any toon from the same file and well... with others... Here, I made a little levelset with that:
    tile_size_bugs.rar
    (4.31 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
  • I don't even know if it's actually my problem but... for some reason I'm getting some weird graphics appearing in editor in the space for level number in my R'n'D 64 graphics. I found the location of this sprite in the original image file and I checked the conf files, nothing. I really don't understand... But I noticed that these tiles actually moves with level_number when I move it to different coordinates.
    nifl.png
    nifl.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
  • For some reason when I made "Flipped Border" level_info_1 and level_info_2 moved lower for some reason, so I had to move them back. I don't really know what caused that to happen.
  • Not really a bug but... I just don't really know how the explosion animation of kettles works. It's like... scrolls through all four kettle's explosion frames first, then plays last 4 default explosion frames, right? Is this gonna be changed in the future updates? (And will there be more animations for MM elements supported?)
  • For some reason "graphic_[1-8]" doubles the size of "time_anim" and "health_anim" when I at least implement one of them in graphicsinfo. At least it does that in my R'n'D 64. I... I don't even know...
    shfowhoei.png
    shfowhoei.png (17.56 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
  • For now Mirror Magic has huge problems with everything: Snapshot mode, game.tile_size, animating, Android port, levels going out of boundaries of the screen and many other things.
𒈟
Eizzoux

Some more R'n'D 4.1/MM 3.0 bugs + PANEL elements

Post by Eizzoux »

Forgot to mention that the elements for panels ([element].PANEL) actually gets the same problem as toons and menu buttons here
livjlsd.png
livjlsd.png (471.36 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
EDIT: No need for level number, I just didn't know there is actually some gfx for it (gfx.editor.input.level_number)
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Some more R'n'D 4.1/MM 3.0 bugs

Post by Holger »

Thank you for your detailed descriptions of the reported bugs!

Yes, there are bugs lurking in the new MirrorMagic engine, and also bugs in the (largely untested) "tile_size" code. :-(
For now Mirror Magic has huge problems with everything: Snapshot mode, game.tile_size, animating, Android port, levels going out of boundaries of the screen and many other things.
Could you please be a bit more specific on these ones? Examples of what exactly does not work or makes problems are highly appreciated! Especially regarding the following:

- Snapshot mode: Seems to work just fine for me, using any of the three modes
- game.tile_size: Never tested -- yes, I am sure that this will currently not work right
- animating: Same here -- Indeed I know that most MM animations currently lack configurability
- Android port: Works like a charm here -- please let me know where you encountered problems
- levels going out of boundaries of the screen: At least the two packed sets should not have these problems, but I will check how (larger) custom levels behave here
- and many other things: I would suggest opening a pure "Bugs in MM 3.0.0" for all MM related problems!

Thanks again! I will check your examples, and see what can be done to fix these issues! :)
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:40 pm - Snapshot mode: Seems to work just fine for me, using any of the three modes
Snapshot bug: for some reason in the Mindbender level 40 when I was using snapshot pacmen were quitting eating amoeba and just stopping in front of those as with any non-edible things.
Holger wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:40 pm - Android port: Works like a charm here -- please let me know where you encountered problems
Actually, I mean not the bugs or something. On Android it's just very incomfortable to control, especially on normal smartphones. As I get it right, on "Virtual Buttons" it controls like that - tap on the left half of mirror (or any other rotatable or switchable element) to rotate counter-clockwise and tap on the right half to rotate clockwise, that is totally awkward to play with these controls on smartphones when they're too small. I think even on tablet it can be too hard. It would be better if we could have the virtual overlay buttons to control yellow cursor just like with player, that's what it even says - "Virtual Buttons".
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Snapshot bug: for some reason in the Mindbender level 40 when I was using snapshot pacmen were quitting eating amoeba and just stopping in front of those as with any non-edible things.
Ah, OK, I will check this. It could indeed be possible that I missed saving (or recovering) an array or something from the MM engine, which is then missing and mixes thing up. I'll have a look...
On Android it's just very incomfortable to control, especially on normal smartphones. As I get it right, on "Virtual Buttons" it controls like that - tap on the left half of mirror (or any other rotatable or switchable element) to rotate counter-clockwise and tap on the right half to rotate clockwise, that is totally awkward to play with these controls on smartphones when they're too small. I think even on tablet it can be too hard. It would be better if we could have the virtual overlay buttons to control yellow cursor just like with player, that's what it even says - "Virtual Buttons".
Indeed, virtual buttons won't make much sense in MM. Not sure at the moment which default value I used on Android for "touch controls", but you should definitely use "follow finger" here. Start touching the element to rotate, then wipe into the direction you want to reflect the beam to. Works quite acceptable even on my Samsung S4 mini phone with it's small 4" screen, and nicely on my 8" tablet...