Weird issue with game's window and in-game border rendering in windowed mode

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Weird issue with game's window and in-game border rendering in windowed mode

Post by Eizzoux »

Sometimes I'm having troubles in testing some menu graphics in window mode because when the levelset has any different window size unlike game's default 672x560 it may load the game's border over the game's playfield (or just draw the border and miss the playfield), display wrong image instead of screen border or even cause the game instantly crash (last one actually happens in both windowed and fullscreen modes).

Here's what I got when loaded my Widescreen (800x560) gfx set:
The playfield is just invisible and so the little easter egg in border texture can be revealed because it was behind the playfield all the time (like in-game sprites in Mirror Magic) :)

When I launched my Sonic R'n'D animation test, I... was very surprised, because it actually draws RocksToons file instead of RocksBorder, and now I'm really confused how this even happens:

Sometimes when I open "Cave Chaos 2 in R'n'D" or even any levelset from "Supaplex collection" in levelsets list game crashes on loading screen:
(Yeah, error report window is on Russian, whatever...)
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Weird issue with game's window and in-game border rendering in windowed mode

Post by Holger »

Please help me, I'm a bit confused now, too! :-D
When I launched my Sonic R'n'D animation test, I... was very surprised, because it actually draws RocksToons file instead of RocksBorder, and now I'm really confused how this even happens:
I have just tested your "Sonic" level set ("tog_bg_test") with R'n'D 4.0.1.4, and it seems to work just as expected, that is, without any toons graphics overlay as in your screenshot. Did you do that test with a modified version of that set?
Sometimes when I open "Cave Chaos 2 in R'n'D" or even any levelset from "Supaplex collection" in levelsets list game crashes on loading screen:
Did you find anything interesting in "stdout.txt" or "stderr.txt" after such a crash?

Did you ever get such a crash directly after starting the game and loading one of the "Supaplex collection" level sets? Or did you load any other level set with custom graphics before such a crash (like "Cave Chaos 2" or other sets with custom graphics)?

Because it may be possible that you triggered an unknown bug with some custom graphics, which later resulted in a crash. So it would be interesting to know *which* custom graphics may have caused this (and therefore it would be helpful to know if only custom graphics from the "Supaplex collection" was involved, or if any other custom graphics were loaded before)...
Eizzoux

Re: Weird issue with game's window and in-game border rendering in windowed mode

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm
I have just tested your "Sonic" level set ("tog_bg_test") with R'n'D 4.0.1.4, and it seems to work just as expected, that is, without any toons graphics overlay as in your screenshot. Did you do that test with a modified version of that set?
Nope, it's not modified, but I think I know why that happens. If you'll take a look in "graphicsinfo.conf" you can see how the game uses "[NONE]" for "global.border" so maybe the game doesn't know what file to use and tries to use... last image from the list of all usable images? I don't know... BTW, I think the "wrong image" is only work of my hands but not the game glitch.
Holger wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm
Did you find anything interesting in "stdout.txt" or "stderr.txt" after such a crash?
Sadly, none of these textbooks has any words about that. Stdout is totally empty, stderr only provides some minor tokens which doesn't provoke the game to crash.
Holger wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm Did you ever get such a crash directly after starting the game and loading one of the "Supaplex collection" level sets? Or did you load any other level set with custom graphics before such a crash (like "Cave Chaos 2" or other sets with custom graphics)?

Because it may be possible that you triggered an unknown bug with some custom graphics, which later resulted in a crash. So it would be interesting to know *which* custom graphics may have caused this (and therefore it would be helpful to know if only custom graphics from the "Supaplex collection" was involved, or if any other custom graphics were loaded before)...
That only happens if I change graphics set to another one with different window size (in levelsets menu or custom artwork setup, no difference), but all that stuff happens randomly. Sometimes it loads as intended, sometimes the border overrides everything on screen, sometimes it draws global anims under the border (and border somehow goes on "draw_masked: true" or something), and sometimes crashes. The game only fixes all these screen issues after closing (or crashing) and opening it again. I can only tell that changing viewport or maybe global anims somehow causes the game load some graphics like that.
All CC2, global test and Supaplex collection gfx have different viewport unlike the original game's 672x560, all of them has global anims one of these (or maybe both) criteria could provoke the game to crash on loading them. I think I prefer the first one because sometimes playfield can be covered by border even if I move from levelset with non-standard window size to the classic graphics. So I think changing window size somehow causes the game draw border over the game field.

EDIT: Just couple of minutes ago I got the game went totally freaky after changing from "CC2" to classic graphics. As you can see, toons left their long trails after while crossing the game screen.
𒈟