Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Timo3681

Problem with Level Manager

Post by Timo3681 »

Why make Level Manager in ConfEdit this:

Run-time error `70`:

Permission denied

^ How can i solve this problem? Why Permission denies?
Attachments
Unbenannt-1.png
Unbenannt-1.png (52.78 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Level Manager

Post by Holger »

Unfortunately, ConfEdit is very old software (written for Windows XP) with its source code lost a long time ago (at least that's what I assume), so problems with current operating systems (which I assume to be the cause for the described problem here) cannot be debugged or fixed anymore. :-(

Does this problem happen _always_ and in _all_ situations when invoking the function "Level Manager" in ConfEdit, or does it happen only on certain file systems, under certain circumstances or for certain files or directories?

But as said, I'm afraid that this problem cannot be solved anymore, so the corresponding functionality is probably lost. :-(
Timo3681

Post by Timo3681 »

This problem happen always
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Then I think it cannot be fixed, unfortunately. :-(
filbo

Post by filbo »

Make a Windows XP VM (under any of the dozen or so virtualization environments available these days). The old binary should run on it.

Strongly recommend you pre-configure the virtual hardware to have NO sort of networking, before ever booting XP in a VM. Transfer data to/from the VM with some safer mode like virtual floppies or 'host guest filesystem' -- some mechanism which does not allow anything from the Internet to sniff at the VM, since it will be pwned in milliseconds...

(It might also work under WINE on Linux / Mac -- a rare case where WINE's trailing-edge situation could be a benefit...)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, that's right -- as it was created for Windows XP, it should still run fine in a Windows XP VM.

Thanks for mentioning this workaround, filbo! :-)