Problem with the "use template"

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Don Shadow

Problem with the "use template"

Post by Don Shadow »

I have a big problem with the "use template" and "use graphic of".
These two options are too near next to each other.

The "use template of" should better be at the bottom of the change page.

It happens too often by me, that I click on "use template" instead of "use graphic of". If you click "use template" all your done CEs will be replaced by empty customs or other elements if you didn´t save the level ! ...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

lol, excuse me Richard but...
I think it's just a question about getting used to it...
maybe it's true that it's way too easy to click use template instead of use graphics, but what about all those users who are used to click use template where it currently is?

I think that this could be best solved by either storing the CE temporarily when clicking that "use template" and restoring it when it gets unchecked (if the user hasn't choosed another CE before that) (this would be the best solution in my opinion, since the second solution wouldn't solve this)

Or, the second solution:
confirmation for using template
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

Anyways something needs to happen.

And I think your second idea (confirmation) should solve everything... Or you could change the checkbox into a button, that would be logicallier. Cause I always insert my templates like that: Checking that box, clicking on any other option like "walkable" and than again uncheck "walkable". So I can insert it... a bit weird, isn´t it ? But it´s true. :P

If it would be a button, there could be a better reason to ask for that action.

- Change to button
- Confirmation needed
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

Holger ??? There are already some days gone since your last post... it would be good if you would reply a littlebit here... :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Don Shadow:
> The "use template of" should better be at the bottom of the change page.

You are partially right, but in a different way that you suggested -- in fact, the "use template" option should not be on a each CE page (because it is not a template for that particular CE, but for all CEs of that whole level), but on a different page valid for the whole level (the "info" page, for example).

Zomis:
> I think that this could be best solved by either storing the CE temporarily when clicking that
> "use template" and restoring it when it gets unchecked (if the user hasn't choosed another CE
> before that) (this would be the best solution in my opinion, since the second solution wouldn't
> solve this)
>
> Or, the second solution:
> confirmation for using template

Hmm, when reading that, I was sure that the previous CE values get restored when de-selecting "use template", but I have to check this. Of course you both are right that selecting "use template" by error should *not* result in all your CEs getting destroyed! :-o

Don Shadow:
> And I think your second idea (confirmation) should solve everything... Or you could change
> the checkbox into a button, that would be logicallier. Cause I always insert my templates like
> that: Checking that box, clicking on any other option like "walkable" and than again uncheck
> "walkable". So I can insert it... a bit weird, isn´t it ? But it´s true.

But in that case the "use template" function would be rather useless: The main purpose of that function is that you have _one_ template file that gets used by all the levels in your set, so that the CEs in all your levels are 100% identical. Your "button" solution would just _copy_ the CEs from the template to your level, with the result that a if you fix a bug in one of your CEs in the template at a later time, that bug would still exist in your earlier levels!

> Holger ??? There are already some days gone since your last post... it would be good if you
> would reply a littlebit here... :)

I'm very sorry for the delay! It's just that I'm very busy at work the last few days...! :-o
Hope it gets better soon, but cannot promise... ;-)
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

-> But in that case the "use template" function would be rather useless: The main purpose of that function is that you have _one_ template file that gets used by all the levels in your set, so that the CEs in all your levels are 100% identical. Your "button" solution would just _copy_ the CEs from the template to your level, with the result that a if you fix a bug in one of your CEs in the template at a later time, that bug would still exist in your earlier levels!

Oh, yeah... right... But couldn´t you also do it with a button AND a checkbox ? A button to insert the actual template and that checkbox to keep it.

The button is needed, cause I make very much levels with different CEs. I mean, the CE 1 in level 1 is not identical with the CE 1 in level 2 ! But if I would need the CE 1 to CE 20 in level 2 for level 3, I would need to save the template in level 2 and to paste it (with the long process) in level 3 !

Better idea !!: 2 different template sorts... The one template we now have (checkbox), and a template to copy all CEs from a level to another... But that template should be cleared like a "copy and paste" data store if program restarts/ends...

I just came on this idea during I posted this. ;)