[SOLVED] No sounds after playing "Battle of Diamonds" map

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

uhmeem

[SOLVED] No sounds after playing "Battle of Diamonds" map

Post by uhmeem »

Hi there!

I am really confused with this bug. Some time ago I've started playing with my siblings "Battle of Diamonds" map, which can be found here:

w.artsoft.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2052

After a few games all the enviromental sounds and soundtrack dissapeared! Not only on this level, but now sounds are broken on every levelset. Even uninstallling the game and clean installation doesn't fix it. I was trying to reinstall once again today with the newest version, but there's still no sounds. This trouble also occurs on the other computers, checked on Win 7 and XP.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: No sounds after playing "Battle of Diamonds" map

Post by Holger »

This sounds very, very strange indeed. :-o

Did you check the sound/music settings in the "setup" menu? Are they set to "on" or "off"? If they are set to "on" (but without sound), does setting them to "off" and then "on" again make any difference (maybe with saving settings and restarting the game between those two steps)?

And finally: Did you try removing (or renaming) the personal data folder "Rocks'n'Diamonds" for R'n'D? It should be in your "My Documents" folder (on XP, not sure if the directory name is different on Win 7). This should reset all your settings. Does this help with this sound issue?

Has anybody else discovered something similar?

I'll try to reproduce this with my Windows 7 VM...
uhmeem

Post by uhmeem »

I have uninstalled RnD and removed everything from "My documents", but it didn't help. I was also trying to switch "on", "off" for a few times, but nothing helps. I have no sounds at all :(
uhmeem

Post by uhmeem »

After cleaning registry from all rocks and diamonds stuff, sound turned back! I've decided to check one more time what is wrong. I was switching between three levelsets: BD2K3, Snake Bite and Battle of Diamonds, but it seems that trouble occurs when I've changed from BD2K3 to Snake Bite jue. Quickly I've noticed that sound became quiet, and after a few another attempts it completely turned off. This is what I've deleted to restore sound:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-732225522-1540941305-1132875574-1012\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore\d20677b6_0

it contained:
{0.0.0.00000000}.{15e64e9b-0de6-44fa-a52f-0181b9952c13}|\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Rocks'n'Diamonds\rocksndiamonds.exe%b{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

I've no idea what is this, just deleted it :P
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

After cleaning registry from all rocks and diamonds stuff, sound turned back!
Just to mention it: R'n'D itself never touches the Windows registry at all, so I have no idea what's going on here.

But thanks for reporting your observations again, and great to know that you were able to find a solution!

If anybody else should have similar problems, there's at least something they can try to fix it! :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Apparently others had this problem, too:

"sound once lost doesn't come back (Internet explorer key in registry)":

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... evelopment

Even that Microsoft guy in that thread seems to have no idea what's going on there! :-o

So it seems that this problem is not specific to R'n'D, but apparently some strange behavior of the Windows audio system, if I understand it right. :-/