File not found...

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

File not found...

Post by Eizzoux »

This topic is not about Rocks'n'diamonds at all. It's 'bout ConfEdit (latest version 1.0.1)
The program just loses the file named GGlock.ocx and gives Run-time error '53', but it's already right in program's folder. How could I fix it? :(
𒈟
Eizzoux

Re: File not found...

Post by Eizzoux »

And also the same thing happens when I try to use LevelView :(
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I have experienced similar things -- this is really very strange. :-o

My observations about running Alan Bond's old Visual Basic based R'n'D tools can be summarized as follows:

- They run just fine under native(!) Windows XP (32-bit).
- They fail to run under Windows 7 (64-bit) with those errors you've reported here.
- They even do not run under Windows XP (32-bit) when running in a virtual machine (tested with VirtualBox and VMware, 64-bit host machine)!

I've googled this some time ago, but found no solution so far. Not sure if this is a WinXP/Win7 issue or a 32-bit/64-bit issue either.

Does anybody else has the slightest idea what might go wrong here, or what can be done to keep those great old tools running on modern systems?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Googled again and finally got it running! :-D

Here's what I did:

- I've installed the Visual Basic 5.0 runtime (installing the one for VB 6.0 did not help here); this was from the following link:
- http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... vbvm50.exe
- I've executed this via "Run as Administrator"; not sure if this was really required or not
- when trying to start "ConfEdit", I now get a different error message about DLL/OCX files not being registered
- I manually registered all those DLL and OCX files that come with ConfEdit; this works as follows:
- open "cmd.exe" via "Run as Administrator" and "cd" to the "ConfEdit" directory
- enter "regsvr32 xxx" for every file "xxx" that ConfEdit complains about when attempting to start it
- after registering some DLL and OCX files, "ConfEdit.exe" finally starts and runs without errors on Windows 7!

Please let me know if it works for you, too.
Eizzoux

Heh, thanks, but...

Post by Eizzoux »

Yay, thanks, but I needed only to install VB 5.0. I just installed it now and then tried to launch ConfEdit and... it worked! Thank you very much! :D
𒈟
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Oh, now I have a little different problem: ConfEdit doesn't see R'n'D RC3 as a Rocks'n'diamonds
Here I'm trying to link the 'rocksndiamonds.exe' to ConfEdit...
Here I'm trying to link the 'rocksndiamonds.exe' to ConfEdit...
bandicam 2016-07-18 21-15-33-595.png (37.34 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
...But when I select it, ConfEdit shows me this error... :(
...But when I select it, ConfEdit shows me this error... :(
bandicam 2016-07-18 21-15-48-737.png (11.86 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Unfortunately, I have no freakin' idea what ConfEdit does/checks to decide if an executable is to be considered as a "Rocks'n'Diamonds" executable. :(

As the mechanism to create R'n'D binaries hasn't changed much over the past years, I wonder what might have changed. Do you know which version of R'n'D is the last one that works with ConfEdit?
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

I'm not sure but I think it's 3.3.1.2. I just didn't test ConfEdit on 4.0.0.0 RC1 and 4.0.0.0 RC2. But it worked well with 3.3.1.2 so... I'm gonna download 3.3.1.2 for the original 'graphicsinfo.conf' because I'm not able to learn all the functions of it :D
𒈟