RJ1

Re: Bugs in Pre Release 4.0.0.0

Post by RJ1 »

Great ! Image
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

The fix will be available in the next release candidate (RC2), hopefully very soon (in a few days).
Out now! Could you please check if this bug is fixed in RC2 also on your system now?
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

Hello Holger,

Unfortunately its the same, still. Tested two different soundcards.

I did some investigation on this see: http://rjkole.com/gamestuff/testing/rnd ... _issue.jpg

I recorded the begginings of different mp3 files while the game ist runnin, pushing the music on/off button.
Below i zoomed in 3 samples from above.
Below each sample you see a recording of the same mp3 through a mediaplayer (mplayerc).
I marked the beginning of each soundfile with a red bar (please note: The zoom rates are not equal).

The glitches appear BEFORE the audio even starts and look randomly different.

May be you could play (for testing) a short 400Hz tone or so before your 100ms fade in to see where the glitch comes up. Before or after the 400 Hz tone.
I think this could help to see if the fade made sense for fixing it.
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

The mp3 formats i was using:

Audio: MPEG Audio Layer 3 44100Hz stereo 128Kbps
Audio: MPEG Audio 44100Hz stereo 128Kbps
both showed the same behave.

i tested WAV also
Audio: PCM 44100Hz stereo 1411Kbps , there were no gliches.
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

Hello Holger,

Thanks for the RC3.
The Music ist still popping, very weak pops though.
Not even worth to complain about ...

RJ
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Forgot to mention that I did even more investigations on this issue. Apparently it looks like this is an inherent problem of SDL_mixer/SDL2_mixer (at least some others have similar problems, and no solution to it). As far as I have read, these "popping" sounds when starting the music do not happen with other music formats (like music in Ogg Vorbis format), but I haven't tested this.
i tested WAV also
Audio: PCM 44100Hz stereo 1411Kbps , there were no gliches.
Yes, this seems to be a problem only happening when playing MP3s.
The glitches appear BEFORE the audio even starts and look randomly different.

May be you could play (for testing) a short 400Hz tone or so before your 100ms fade in to see where the glitch comes up. Before or after the 400 Hz tone.
Not sure if I can test it that way -- the SDL_mixer library distinguishes between "sounds" and "music", so I cannot do something like "play that sound (400Hz tone) immediately followed by playing that music (MP3 that pops when played alone)".

But I have the suspicion that it may have something to do with opening the audio device when starting playback of the MP3; this could be tested by playing a "flat line" sound loop (which cannot be heard), and then (after a delay of one second or so) start the MP3 and see (well, hear) if it pops or not. But then, the other music formats (like MIDI and MOD music seem to not have this problem, so it shouldn't be caused by "click" or "pop" sounds when opening the audio device... :-/
I think this could help to see if the fade made sense for fixing it.
The fade perfectly made sense at least on my system (Linux), where it really made the difference between a clear "pop" sound without the short fade-in delay, and no (or at least a nearly unnoticeable) sound with the 100ms fade-in. But I think it made no difference at all on my Windows 7 test system, if I remember correctly. (Not sure about the Mac now.) So it seems that it has something do with the problem, and fixes it (more or less) at least on some platforms.
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

Well if RND can read ogg, what myself is concerned, ill just provide my files in ogg in future.Anyway we will never know how many people are really using mp3, or mp3s with a low level beginning or infading sound.

Besides, i never got any respone in my "experimental" Dungeon like Music for the game. Was it that bad ? :mrgreen:
RJ