EMC levels, AGA/ECS vs. large/small graphics

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

filbo

EMC levels, AGA/ECS vs. large/small graphics

Post by filbo »

I'm seeing some graphical glitches with the "Small Game Graphics" mode and certain EMC levels.

An example is "The Adventures of Mr. B Part 1" ("$RO_GAME_DIR/levels/Emerald Mine Club/emc_adventures_of_mr_b_1" and its associated graphics files "$RO_GAME_DIR/levels/Emerald Mine Club/gfx_adventures_of_mr_b_1/graphics"). Its config files (like graphicsinfo.conf) are full of "whatever.scale_up_factor: 2" statements.

Suppose we have just entered this levelset from some other levelset which uses different graphics. RnD loads the new artwork set. If we now start playing, the display looks reasonable:

- If "Small Game Graphics" was off, we have a 17x17-tile playfield with 32x32 pixel tiles; the tiles are actually pixel-doubled 16x16 tiles, so they look kind of chunky (but this is OK).

- If "Small Game graphics" was on, we have a 34x32-tile playfield with 16x16 pixel tiles (not scaled).

(These look exactly the same whether we were preferring AGA or ECS graphics, I believe because the level only has one sort.)

Suppose we now go into Setup -> Graphics, and toggle -> EMC graphics preference from AGA to ECS, or vice versa. Playing again, the display is exactly the same as before.

Suppose we now go into Setup -> Graphics, and toggle -> Small Game Graphics. Now when we try to play:

- If "Small Game Graphics" was off and is now ON, we have a 34x32-tile playfield with 8x8 pixel tiles, pixel-doubled to 16x16. That is, each tile shows the upper left corner of the intended tile, pixel-doubled to fill the 16x16 display tile.

- If "Small Game graphics" was on and is now OFF, we have a 17x17-tile playfield with 32x32 pixel tiles; each tile contains the intended 16x16 tile in its upper left corner, and three other tiles from nearby in the artwork set occupying the rest of the 32x32 display tile.

TO REPRODUCE:

1. Setup -> Graphics -> Small Game Graphics -> off; EMC graphics preference -> ECS
2. Levelset -> Emerald Mine Club -> Ace Mine 2 (to load a different graphics set)
3. Levelset -> Emerald Mine Club -> The Adventures of Mr. B Part 1
4. Start Game (observe large, chunky, correct graphics) (FIGURE 1)
5. Abort play
6. Setup -> Graphics -> Small Game Graphics -> on
7. Start Game (ERROR: observe 32x32 tiles containing 4-each 16x16 tiles). (FIGURE 2)
8. Abort play
9. Setup -> Graphics -> EMC graphics preference -> toggle to AGA
10. Note messages showing a different graphics set was loaded
11. Start Game (observe small, correct graphics) (FIGURE 3)
12. Abort play
13. Setup -> Graphics -> Small Game Graphics -> off
14. Start Game (ERROR: observe 8x8 pixel-doubled to 16x16, quarter-tile graphics) (FIGURE 4)

Fix by reloading artwork when "Small Game Graphics" has been toggled?

For users: to fix, toggle Setup -> Graphics -> EMC graphics preference. This reloads the artwork set and fixes the problem.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: EMC levels, AGA/ECS vs. large/small graphics

Post by Holger »

Thanks, filbo, for perfectly analyzing and describing how to exactly reproduce this bug. I myself already stumbled upon it several times in the past, without being able to nail it down so far like you did. Once being able to reproduce this bug, it was relatively easy to track it down and fix it. Again, thanks a lot!
filbo

Re: EMC levels, AGA/ECS vs. large/small graphics

Post by filbo »

Haha... I see that I totally forgot to attach the "figures"!

On the wrong computer right now, will post later, just for completeness...

>Bela<