Supaplex engine bugs

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

bojster

Re: Supaplex engine bugs

Post by bojster »

Ok, this time it *must* be a real bug. :P

If I stand below an orange disk, and place a red disk, and move away - the orange disk falls through the red one. See attached tape for level 88 (near the end).
Attachments
088.tape
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I've checked the tape -- again, very strange!

Then I've created a prepared original level in Supaplex format (see attached) and tested it in DOSBOX.

Well, it is indeed a "real" bug, although not in R'n'D, but in Supaplex (again, DOS version tested). :o

In fact, Supaplex has (just like R'n'D) quite a number of such bugs, as its engine works with element positions "between" tile positions (also just like R'n'D, and unlike BD and EM), which opens a wide variety of possibilities for nice and fancy bugs. :D

I think we have to live with them... :?
Attachments
001.sp
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
bojster

Post by bojster »

Damn it, ok, I won't report anything more. But right after finishing Supaplex in RnD (20 levels to go) I'll play the Amiga version and record the proper behaviour in all of the above cases. :P
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Good idea! I really would like to know if the Amiga version and the DOS version of Supaplex really have different game engines regarding these bugs. In fact, I can't find much about the Amiga version (even though it was there before the DOS version, AFAIK), but only about the DOS version (well, mainly www.elmerproductions.com).
bojster

Post by bojster »

You can call it a bug, or a feature, or a mini-game of "Where's Murphy". ;-)

Since the screen scrolling is slower than Murphy, it is possible to hide behind the right-hand panel by dashing from left side of the level to the right. Exemplified here is level 102, but it probably works the same for any other level that has enough horizontal space. ;-)
bojster

Post by bojster »

An interesting bug/feature with non-collectable infotron hanging in the air after some explosions (tape attached).

Attachments
104.tape
(825 Bytes) Downloaded 431 times