bd dream crash

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Dark

bd dream crash

Post by Dark »

Hi.

I was just wondering if the Bd dream crash had been fixed, where everything freezes upon either dying or exiting the level set, and it's necessary to close the program with the windows task manager.

i was hoping this might have been fixed in 3.61, ---- but sadly it's stil happening which is slightly annoying as I'd like to play Bd dream on my 32 inch monster monitor.

i've tried this runnign normally, and with Alan bonds' res n diamonds, and also on my laptop, and the same error comes up.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Unfortunately, I was never able to reproduce this crash bug on my own systems so far, so I couldn't really debug this.

Can anybody else reproduce this bug and maybe can give me some additional hints how to reproduce this? Then it could be possible to debug and fix this problem.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Funny, it's incredibly persistant for me with bd dream. Everytime there's a major screen change, ie, dying, exiting the level pack or quitting rnd, the hole thing freezes, the music loops and as I said, the only way of ending the program is using ctrl alt delete.

I'm using Windows xp on both machines, and have tried downloading a new copy of bd dream from Martijn's site just in case it was a file corruption issue, ---- and have also tried using various sub folder arrangements (I usually just use the aditional player levels suggestion from martijn, though I've also created two folders just to hold copies of level sets i'm currently playing without having to search for them, but no luck either way unfortunately.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

That's seems odd, especially for WinXP. Are all of your drivers up to date?
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> That's seems odd, especially for WinXP. Are all of your drivers up to date?

As the crash happens on two different XP machines, I'm quite sure that it's not a driver problem, but really a memory problem (or something like this) inside R'n'D (maybe a very rare one that is triggered by some special artwork definitions in this specific level set).

I'll again try to reproduce this on different XP machines I have access to. If this happens on more than one machine, it must be reproducible somehow... :-/

If anybody here could test this level set the way Dark described, it would be very helpful to report what happened on their machine(s).
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I'll have a look at it on my WinXP PC when I get home this weekend, but I don't remember that set causing any problems, unless it's specific to the latest version.
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I could not make BD Dream crash on Windows XP on a virtual machine. Since it seems to happen on two fairly different computers, maybe the problem is a specific combination of graphics options and/or levelsets?
RTADash wrote:I'll have a look at it on my WinXP PC when I get home this weekend, but I don't remember that set causing any problems, unless it's specific to the latest version.
Is there another version of it? I was using the one from the RnD Downloads page...
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I meant version of RnD - I seem to remember BD Dream working in 3.2.6, but I haven't tried loading it in 3.2.6.1 yet.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Well, I'll try Bd2k3 sinse it's a similar level set, but I don't remember that causing problems, and if people want me to post the contents of my setup folder just in case I will.

Of course, I am using hal, my screen reading program on both machines, ---- though with the voice off, but I'd be extremely surprised if this was causing the crash, ---- in fact it'd be the first I've ever heard of Hal doing such a thing.

While it isn't unknown for screen readers to provide problems with applications, such problems don't tend to happen with hal, sinse unlike other screen reading programs Hal does not automatically refocus or rewrite informtion sent to the pc screen or proprietorially grab keyboard in put, ---- this is in fact another reason I use Hal rather than one of the more popular alternatives.

I'll try bd2k3, and indeed try closing Hal before running the level set (though i don't imagine this is the issue, and let you know the result.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Well, I've done the tests. The presence or absense of Hal seems to make no difference at all, and bd2k3 seemed to run fine (actually I might give that a play through now).

One thing however did make a difference to the crash, ---- background music.

The crash only seemed to happen when background music was off. I discovered this having set the music to off myself to listen to an audio book while playing, ---- and so found the issue. Actually with the sound looping the way it does when the crash happens, and the fact that the crash seems to occur when transitioning betwene tracks ie, during death, this doesn't seem too surprising.

I wonder if it's perhaps because i've got the frame delay, ie, game speed set to 24?

At least this should hopefully shed some light on the situation.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Pleased to say, this one is now firmly fixed! I wondered if some of the changes in the new version would fix it, ---- and they clearly have sinse the levels now play fine with music, which is good, sinse I really rather like this set.

Thanks for the fix.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I assume that the change that apparently fixed the crash problem you encountered is the update of the SDL libraries to the latest versions in R'n'D version 3.3.0.0. This may have fixed some problems on Windows which may have caused the crash.

In any case: Good to know that this problem is gone now!