Tube disappears after entering and dying in acid.

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

Tube disappears after entering and dying in acid.

Post by RAP »

I recently played The H. World after DLing the latest RnD version once again, and then wandering around aimlessly, I noticed a deadly bug. It's possible that I caught another one as well...

When the enters the at the top side, the player dies.
However, when the enters the from the following pipes at the top side: , the player dies and along with it, the pipe that the figure was previously entered disappeared.
I even had go around where the disappeared pipe is, and it's now officially .

And then I wondered, is it possible that the bug can be reproduced at the other three sides of the acid?

When the enters the at the bottom, left, and right side, the player dies.
But, when the enters the from all the pipes in any way but the top side, the pipe didn't disappear. Even more interesting, the player didn't die upon entering the acids while inside the pipes.

However, I somewhat question if older levels support this in order to simply "link it up" and simply not die by the second bug. Just asking.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I like your well-illustrated post :D Thank you for reporting this bug.

(Which level were you in when this happened? I don't remember any levels in that set with both and a .)

I have also (very recently, so that I hadn't reported it yet) experienced (in 3.2.4) entering from the top results in whatever element was under (directly above ) is made non-existent. In addition, as enters the acid, the "player mask" stops working on a colored background, and has a black box around him.

(Again, my only experiences with this so far have been in 3.2.4.)

*EDIT* I have checked the behavior of 3.2.6.1 and it seems to match that of 3.2.4.

And perhaps the reason does not die when trying to "enter" from any sort of is because the 's are all "protected."
Last edited by Daniel H. on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

The phenomenon that pipes disappear when the player dies is not new:
In former versions of R'n'D pipes disappeared when the player died inside (e.g. by dropping a bomb inside it without running away). BTW: I just noticed that this bug is fixed now..

Though, this seems to be different.. maybe the player that is entering the acid is an extra element that replaces the pipe in the moment it appears. But Holger will know it better. @Holger: Is that true?

The fact that you don't die when trying to enter the acid from any but the top side while being inside a tube doesn't surprise me; it works with the element "plant", too, and I bet that this happens with each element that is "deadly when running into". I guess that the pipe kinda irritates the element so that it doesn't recognize the player as running into it.

All this should be fixed indeed..
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Sascha wrote:I guess that the pipe kinda irritates the element so that it doesn't recognize the player as running into it.
All 's are "protected." You can only walk into the sides or bottom of from any unprotected element.

Here is a bug: When stands on a protected element and tries to walk into , the player is shown as "walking" in place. (This is not visible with a because you cannot see the player in a .)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.