Game crashes

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Metalmorphosis

Game crashes

Post by Metalmorphosis »

Hi!

Since I have upgraded from 3.2.4.0 to 3.2.6.0 I encounter random crashs during the game. No matter which graphics are being used (at the moment I'm using JUE0). Happens on self created levels, Classic Original (Emerald Mine, Supaplex) and contributions. The most levels do work fine, but some do cause a crash (back to desktop without error message).

My system:
Windows XP Pro SP3
ATI HD3450
Catalyst 8.10

Oh, this is the content of the "stderr.txt" file:

rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot find artwork file 'emc_object.pcx'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: trying default artwork file 'RocksEMC.pcx'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: trying default artwork file 'RocksSP.pcx'
rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot open configuration file 'C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Stefan1\Eigene Dateien\Rocks'n'Diamonds\editorsetup.conf'

Some advice...? :(
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I've had that as well. Not during gameplay but while watching a playback tape for a custom level the game just closes without warning.
katebushlover

Rocks 'n' Diamonds level scrolling crashes in 3.2.6.0 build.

Post by katebushlover »

Rocks 'n' Diamonds level scrolling crashes in 3.2.6.0 build on Windows Vista.

Hi all:

I believe I have a similar or identical problem running version 3.2.6.0 (latest) in Windows Vista. I will attempt to describe the problem as I experience it in as much detail as possible to attempt to give the conditions of the 'crashes' (game simply closes):

On a level greater than 15x15 in size in which the screen would scroll at some point to access all areas, when the screen needs to scroll right (Rockford moves left) AND the steel wall boundary of the level appears on the left, the game crashes in 3.2.6.0 Windows Vista. It also crashes when the screen needs to scroll down (Rockford moves up), irrespective of the steel wall boundary. These happen when the direction keys are held down - if you tap left or up and Rockford moves 1 square at a time, the crashes do not occur. The errors do not occur when the screen needs to scroll left (Rockford moves right) or when the screen needs to scroll up (Rockford moves down).

I have tested altering the key settings (ie z,x,k & m instead of the arrow keys for up, down, left & right), and turning the Vsync on/off in the NVidia graphics settings as recommended on these boards, but the errors still occur in the ways mentioned above.

On 15x15 (or smaller) levels where no screen scrolling occurs, no crashes occur. Hence any levels I make at the moment are just 15x15 in size!

By 'crash' in all the above, i mean the game simply closes down. No error messages appear.

I have run the previous version on an older computer with Windows XP and it ran just fine in terms of scrolling. I do not know whether it is the latest version of the game or Windows Vista (or a combination) that causes the scroll crash problems. Merry Xmas all - would be great sometime in the New Year if eventually these problems are solved - it is truly a great game/construction kit utility! :D I hope these descriptions help in eventually fixing these annoying scrolling crashes.
RAP

Post by RAP »

Yo! I also have this problem as well! In Windows Vista, and in XP. It's really getting annoying... the problem is that I can't describe about this, about what happened to the crash. Now that someone called out the bug that annoys us, I'm sorta relieved. :3 Dang. I really wanted to create a levelset, it's been a while! ;o
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This sounds like a strange bug crept into 3.2.6.0. Unfortunately, I have no Vista for testing it, but as it was reported to also occur on XP, I should be able to reproduce this (if it's really reproducible). (Normally, I do all Windows tests on my old Windows 2000 box -- not sure, if it happens there, too, but I also have access to XP boxes for testing it there.)

Off-Topic:
Unfortunately, I cannot do these tests too soon, as I'm just in the middle of moving to a new house, which is very old and needs a terrible lot of renovating (that's why I wasn't able to even read the forum for the last two months, as I wasn't in the office that time either). Even though we're finally moving to the new house in one or two weeks, it's still heavily "under construction", and I don't know when I will be able to do some debugging/programming again there. :-/ (Please do Follow-Ups on this part of the post on my corresponding post in the Off-Topic section or by personal mail, please. :-) )
bouncer

Post by bouncer »

:cry: using 3.2.6.0 crashing very frequently half way through most games....going back to my desktop. I have xp home.
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

bouncer wrote::cry: using 3.2.6.0 crashing very frequently half way through most games....going back to my desktop. I have xp home.
Yes, 3.2.6.0 seems to have some issues. For the meantime, try using 3.2.4. This is a link to it that Zomis put in "Sudden close" in the bug reports forum: http://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/win32/r ... -3.2.4.zip
bouncer

Post by bouncer »

:D Transfered everything to 3.2.4 and everything is going fine...and thanks.
Metalmorphosis

Post by Metalmorphosis »

Yep, same here. 3.2.4 works perfectly fine. :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

The reason for this bug has been found -- it wasn't R'n'D itself, but the SDL library used for graphics. See some details here:

viewtopic.php?p=12280#12280

A new version 3.2.6.1 which fixes this bug (by including a manually patched SDL library) will be released soon.