boulderdash Dream crash

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Dark

boulderdash Dream crash

Post by Dark »

Hi.

I'm really sorry about this complaint, but it's getting to be a pest sinse I really want to replay the level set and have a crack at some levels i was stuck on before.

for some reason though, the set keeps utterly freezing, with the music going into a constant loop, making it necessary to actually end rnd with ctrl alt delete.

It crashes either when rockford dies, when pressing escape anywhere (even on the main menue or to go back in the level sets directory), or, ---- if escape is not used to exit the set, when loading another level set after Bd dream, ---- though in this case it just freezes on the loading screen and there is no music looping.

i've tried level sets which i believe have a similar amount of graphics and customization, such as bd2k3 or packman, but these seem fine.

i've also tried re-downloading Bd dream, but the same thing happened.

Admittedly I have change pc's sinse i last played the level set, but this is also a windows Xp machine, it just has more harddrive space and is slightly faster.

any advice would be appreciated.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Has anybody else encountered similar problems with this set?

I had no problems with this level set so far, but I use Linux most of the time, and it may be possible that it only happens on Windows systems.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

It works fine for me in both Windows XP (SP2) and Vista. :?
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Dark: Just to be sure here: This happens with the latest version 3.2.4?
Dark

Post by Dark »

Hi.

yes, in fact one reason i wanted to retry Bd dream was expressly becausee with 3.24 I can play the levels at a more comfortable speed.

I was originally using alan bond's res -n- diamonds application to stretch rnd to a larger screen size, however the same bug occurs when I run rnd normally.

I also tried cutting my setup conf file from the rnd folder in my documents, so that rnd would automatically run with default settings, ---- but stil the same thing happened.

the only difference was that sinse I have fade screens turned off, when running at default settings, the screen faded to black before the crash happened when exiting the currently played level either with escape or with deceased rockford, and when trying to exit the level group.

Really sorry about the complaint, but this one is totally flummoxing me.

though the screen is far too small for me to actually think about playing, i'll try installing Rnd on my laptop just to check if the same bug occurs then.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> though the screen is far too small for me to actually think about playing, i'll
> try installing Rnd on my laptop just to check if the same bug occurs then.

That would indeed be helpful, as it may give a hint if this is "only" an isolated problem on one specific system installation, or if it occurs on other systems, too, and therefore would need further investigation in the program code itself.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Hi.

Appologies this took so long to investigate, my wireless network was acting up a bit recently, ---- and I had a rather hechtic last week.

i've now tried installing Rnd on my laptop, also running windows Xp, and I'm afraid the same thing happens with Bd dream, and at the same points, ie, exiting the level group and when rockford dies, luckily there are plenty of conveniently nasty boulders in the second level of Bd dream, which make killing Rockford even when not actually able to see the screen quite possible.

appologies for the continuing complaint. Please let me know if there's any other information which might help you fix things.