Weird Crashes

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Rockford4ever

Weird Crashes

Post by Rockford4ever »

I was playing Arno Luppolds level set (contribution levels) and in the first level, I was walking to the right on a huge empty space full of robots, and suddenly RnD crashed. Could anyone try to reproduce this? (Win XP, rnd-3.2.4)

EDIT: I was just editing that level and it crashed again! Weird... Also, by crashing, I mean shutting down automatically.
Current project:
Nope.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Is there any useful info in stderr.txt?
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

Arno Luppold's level set is in Contributions 2000.
I got the same thing when I played the level. However, when it crashed in the editor, that could have been the scrolling bug, where it crashes if you use the arrow keys to scroll.

After the crash, I checked my stderr files. The one in RnD's directory was blank. The one in My Documents had messages mostly about "rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: unknown token(s) found in config file:" and all pointed to my levels/config files.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Strange indeed.
The bug with the editor in this level seems to be the scrolling bug, I just tested with rnd-20071031 and it work fine in the editor.
While playing however, it did not work. At first when I saw this thread I thought that it could be because an unknown element, so I loaded up RnD Scripter with the "countels" script and got this:
(Element, Count): 0, 1, 117
(Element, Count): 1, 2, 7
(Element, Count): 2, 12, 222
(Element, Count): 3, 13, 306
(Element, Count): 4, 19, 15438
(Element, Count): 5, 28, 286
(Element, Count): 6, 33, 1
(Element, Count): 7, 37, 1
(Element, Count): 8, 44, 4
(Element, Count): 9, 80, 1
(Element, Count): 10, 107, 1

This means that the level contains 11 different kinds of elements, which are the following:
x117
x7
x222
x306
x15438
x286
x1
x1
x4
x1
x1
But I find neither of these to be buggy in any other level, so I have no clue.

Anyone who can find an old RnD version where this level works fine? That maybe could give us a clue...
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Hm, don't crash in rndTest325.
Don't know what the problem caused in normal RnD.
The memory leaks I removed are not in the game.

If you copy rndTest_jue0.exe to rndTest.exe
it should work with normal environment (graphic, sound) too.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

The level seems to work fine in RnD 3.1.2.
It crashes in 3.2.4 (for me) when you get to the downward arrow next to the yellow key.

EDIT: It crashes the moment the yellow key comes into view.

Another edit: Actually, no. It seems to crash a set time after the second lot of bombs are detonated.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Oops! I can confirm this (on Windows 2000 with the latest pre-release)! :-o

Hmm, it does not crash under Linux, nor does it show any strange results when running with valgrind. Seems that I have to debug it the hard way directly under Windows... :-/
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Hi,Holger
Hm may be it have something to do with the "request" (SDL) bug
I mentioned in my mail?
In RNDTEST it don't crash!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

OK, I've just found and fixed this nasty crash bug! :-)

Will be released together with the next stable release (or maybe earlier with a new pre-release).

> may be it have something to do with the "request" (SDL) bug
> I mentioned in my mail?

No, it was an invalid memory access in src/game.c in function
UpdateGameControlValues() (in the very last "for" loop), where "gpc->value" could have been -1. Interpreting this as an element number, used as an array index, caused an invalid memory access in rare conditions (when there was no own memory at that place just by chance). Adding a "if (gpc->value != EL_UNDEFINED)" just after "if (gpc->type == TYPE_ELEMENT)" fixes this problem.

> In RNDTEST it don't crash!

This is most probably because there is always valid memory (allocated by the same process) at that location in rndTest, most probably due to your changes to R'n'D which, just by chance, allocate enough additional memory at the "right" position to prevent the segmentation violation.

Sometimes unmanaged code (like compiled C code) really sucks... :-(
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

No, it was an invalid memory access in src/game.c in function
UpdateGameControlValues() (in the very last "for" loop), where "gpc->value" could have been -1. Interpreting this as an element number, used as an array index, caused an invalid memory access in rare conditions (when there was no own memory at that place just by chance). Adding a "if (gpc->value != EL_UNDEFINED)" just after "if (gpc->type == TYPE_ELEMENT)" fixes this problem.
if you remember correctly this is fixed in rndTest too.
we discuss this in the mail (about too much checking of values)
HeHe do you remember?

Only don't think that this have something to do with this bug.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> if you remember correctly this is fixed in rndTest too.
> we discuss this in the mail (about too much checking of values)
> HeHe do you remember?

Yes, now I remember again! Oh well! :-o

I was 100% sure that "gpc->value" could not legally get "-1" at that part of the code (other by memory getting overwritten by other errors), therefore having no need to check this, but in fact it can! :-O

This was due to later additions, where EL_UNDEFINED (which is in fact "-1") was used to mark panel elements as "not used / not displayed".

But in fact you were right after all that this case could happen, even under "legal" circumstances! :-o :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This should be fixed in the next stable release, but also in the current pre-release:

http://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/win32/r ... 080122.zip

(You also need the other pre-releases between the current stable release and this last pre-release. If you don't know how to get it to work, just wait for the next "official", stable release, which won't need special tweaking.)