Version 3.2.3 - Keyboard doesn't work in menu

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Jeremy-Bailey

Version 3.2.3 - Keyboard doesn't work in menu

Post by Jeremy-Bailey »

Bug or what, I don't know. I can use my keyboard in the menu under the preinstalled version of Rocks'n'Diamonds (Mandriva 2007.1 Spring), but the 3.2.3 version doesn't work, only during gameplay. Is this a bug or just some config issue?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Did you install 3.2.3 manually then?
Did you compile your own binary, or did you use the included binary?

Can't imagine (and haven't heard of) any bug which might cause that strange behaviour under 3.2.3! :-o

Anybody encountered similar problems with 3.2.3?
Jeremy-Bailey

Post by Jeremy-Bailey »

This binary and compile stuff is something I'm not familiar with. believe it or not, I use linux but don't understand everything about it yet. so if this doesn't make sense, let me know.
I downloaded the latest version from this very site. I extracted it into a folder.
If memory serves, I may have just clicked on the exe file and it loaded.
I noticed I can't get full screen, and the keyboard doesn't really work. it does for game play, you can hit "esc" after you finished a level, but a mouse is required to continue (clicking on "continue" with "tape saved" above it." that's about it.

I goofed, didn't I?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> This binary and compile stuff is something I'm not familiar with. believe it
> or not, I use linux but don't understand everything about it yet. so if this
> doesn't make sense, let me know.

Don't worry about that -- it's perfectly OK that not everybody is keen on compiling each and every application by hand... :-)

> If memory serves, I may have just clicked on the exe file and it loaded.
> I noticed I can't get full screen,

At least that makes sense -- the included binary is linked against plain X11 library (that means: it does not support everything that it could support, like full screen or MOD style music). This is because this version runs in virtually every Linux system, but it has the disadvantage of having certain limitations.

> and the keyboard doesn't really work. it does for game play, you can hit
> "esc" after you finished a level, but a mouse is required to continue
> (clicking on "continue" with "tape saved" above it." that's about it.

Again, this is strange -- the X11 version really shouldn't have this problem.

You could try to build your own binary anyway -- open a shell (terminal) window in the same directory where the executable is and type "make clean" and then "make sdl" -- this tries to build the binary using the SDL library instead of the X11 library, which is more powerful than the X11 library (in easy words).

If you get error messages, it is most likely that you have to install C/gcc, X11 and SDL development packages using the package management system of your Linux distribution.

Then, you should get a new binary that you can test if it works better!