Tricks or bugs, you decide.

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Rockford4ever

Tricks or bugs, you decide.

Post by Rockford4ever »

I've found numerous bugs in R'n'D which I actually use in levels sometimes - acting like they're tips and tricks to do. But I actually think it would be fair to report these and see which have to be fixed and which don't have to be. Here's a list of most of them, each with a little explanation and a illustration. 8)

1. Hard hat - you probably know this one

Move downwards a few frames after a bomb falls on your head. The bomb will explode, and you won't die.
(game of life = explosion)

__

2. It almost fell - you probably know this one too.

This one's kinda hard to explain, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
It's like making a rock slip off something, but catch it as fast as possible without dying by moving away and back again.

__

3. Pass-by-tricking - this one was invented by Nik01 a time ago IIRC

With enough timing, you can pass by a 'deadly when touching' enemy (spaceship, bug, butterfly, firefly) without dying.

__

4. Thou shalt not pass - hard to do, invented by me

As far as I know, this one needs pixel-perfection but works fine when you immediately move when the level starts. If you and a 'deadly when touching' enemy are in one line, moving to each other and there is exactly an uneven amount of tiles between you and the enemy (16 pixels, 48 pixels, 80 pixels, etc), the enemy will turn around instead of killing you.

Make a level containing this (numbers are there for easily showing there must be 3 tiles in between):

And press TEST - but when the level is 'loading', keep pressing right so you immediately move right on the first frame. The butterfly should turn around if you time it right. Try taking two steps right then two steps left, et voilà.
__

5. No gems for you (not very handy :))(under research!)

I don't know when it exactly happens, but appearantly, there is a chance of a butterfly not giving gems when smashed. It also depens on pixel-perfectness. I'll try to research this bug a bit.
__

6. I'll guess they give a lot of light
Placing a dyna(mite|bomb) in a blue, walkable pipe will come _over_ the pipe itself. 'Nuff said.
__

Anyway, that's all I can remember from the top of my head. Maybe I'll find some others later which are worth being listed.

EDIT: Whoops, one more thing: dragons can breathe away acid. Anyone noticed that?
Current project:
Nope.
Daniel H.

Re: Tricks or bugs, you decide.

Post by Daniel H. »

Rockford4ever wrote:2. It almost fell - you probably know this one too.

This one's kinda hard to explain, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
It's like making a rock slip off something, but catch it as fast as possible without dying by moving away and back again.
That's especially easy to do in 1-step mode.

Rockford4ever wrote:6. I'll guess they give a lot of light
Placing a dyna(mite|bomb) in a blue, walkable pipe will come _over_ the pipe itself. 'Nuff said.
Holger said earlier that this is a bug, but way too many levels rely heavily on it for it to be removed.
*EDIT* Earlier, I wrote: "You can drop any droppable element onto any walkable element, I believe."

Or, at least, I would be very disappointed if it were removed...

I don't think I knew that dragons could destroy acid pool! :!:
I didn't know about the "Thou shalt not pass" trick either.
Last edited by Daniel H. on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Cool list of tricks/bugs -- thanks!

> You can drop any droppable element onto any walkable element, I believe.

I think (can't test it from here) that this only works with classic dynamite, but not with droppable CEs.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

It works at least with dynabombs, too...
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I don't like designing levels that involve tricks/bugs in fear that they might get fixed :lol:.
However, in original BD you can also safely pass fireflies and butterflies if you go at the right moment, so this bug/trick is very close to the original BD engine's behavior :).
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

>EDIT: Whoops, one more thing: dragons can breathe away acid. Anyone >noticed that?

viewtopic.php?t=1022
fang q

Post by fang q »

I found a glitch a couple of years ago so I don't know if it will work anymore. I placed a dynabomb (with many size increases). I then ran up, and just as I saw the explosion, I quickly went to the side. To my utmost suprise where i had been standing previously, a yellow gem had been formed as if I had 'half-died' when I had dodged the explosion. I could still move, but a yellow gem had formed. I'm guessing it has soemthing to do with correct timing.
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

3. Pass-by-tricking - this one was invented by Nik01 a time ago IIRC

With enough timing, you can pass by a 'deadly when touching' enemy (spaceship, bug, butterfly, firefly) without dying.
While I don't know about BD, in EM, you are able to pass spaceships and bugs being next to them provide you and the enemy are going opposite directions. So I guess it's not really a bug.