Buggy graphics in editor

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Buggy graphics in editor

Post by Zomis »

Maybe there's some button that has got stuck on my keyboard, I don't know... but anyways...
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=554
Is it supposed to look like that? :shock:

Edit: Only happens on readonly levelsets probably... or maybe it was restarting RND which helped...
Edit2: Nope, it's not the readonly flag... only restarting RND helps.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Strange! Is this bug reproducible? What do I have to do to reproduce this?

Any others who encountered this problem?
RAP

Post by RAP »

Holger wrote:Any others who encountered this problem?
Yup, I knew this bug before, but I don't know what could cause this; problemly
a code problem in the editor... :shock:

These white boxes looked falmilar, like when you use a grab-brush in the
editor expect their in little boxes only (just like the snapshot)...
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I saw this twice, and both times were 1) in full screen mode and 2) first entering the level editor.

I haven't figured out how to reproduce it, but I haven't tried very hard.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:I saw this twice, and both times were 1) in full screen mode and 2) first entering the level editor.
I was not in full screen. And it happened everytime I entered the level editor until I restarted RND.

One time it happened after I switched window to MSN and then back again.
I think that it indeed has something with the "grab brush" to do, since when those boxes appear I can't put any element anywhere!

I'll try to reproduce it again...
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Another thing: I never saw it before version 3.2.2.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
RAP

Re: Buggy graphics in editor

Post by RAP »

Bug founded, see at the other post that I posted...
Zomis wrote:Edit: Only happens on readonly levelsets probably...
This also affects on non-readonly level when I was playing my private levels
that gonna release at about next year... :D
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:Another thing: I never saw it before version 3.2.2.
Me neither...
It appeared for me again,
after playing Love Pac for a while, and pausing for some minutes (had to go eat), when I finish the level and go to the level editor, bug appears.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Pressing the "grab brush" button, grabbing a brush and then pressing the default "draw single items" seems to eliminate the bug so it's no need to restart RND, but I still don't know where this bug comes from :shock: It just happened to me after playing some Rockfighter and playing around in the editor with Rockfighter...
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Hi, in rndTest
I disable the Next/Prev Level Gadgets and the Setup Next/Prev Player Gadgets while playing!
May be this cause the bug?
It's only if you click on the position where Next/Prev Level gadget's normally be.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Ryan:
> Bug founded, see at the other post that I posted...

Which post do you mean? The one about tape loading? Unfortunately I don't see any connection between these two bugs. :-(

HerzAusGold:
> May be this cause the bug?
> It's only if you click on the position where Next/Prev Level gadget's
> normally be.

No, that's also not the cause. If you click on that position, it just displays some main menu stuff that does not belong there, but not the white boxes described here. :-(

So if anybody knows how to exactly reproduce this strange bug, please let me know.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I started to think if the engine snapshots could have something to do with it, somehow...:roll: unfortunately, I haven't been able to verify this.
I started comparing some source files 3.2.1 - 3.2.2, but haven't found any idea there yet..

But while searching I've found another bug, a small one. If you grab a brush, test the level, stop playing the level so you go back to editor, click the "draw single element", start and stop playing again, then the editor behaves like you want to place that brush you grabbed somewhere. But shouldn't it be drawing a single element? I think this is the way to reproduce it.. a minor bug, but well...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I started to think if the engine snapshots could have something to do with
> it, somehow...

Although unlikely, I won't be surprised either... :-/

> But while searching I've found another bug, a small one. If you grab a
> brush, test the level, stop playing the level so you go back to editor, click
> the "draw single element", start and stop playing again, then the editor
> behaves like you want to place that brush you grabbed somewhere. But
> shouldn't it be drawing a single element? I think this is the way to
> reproduce it.. a minor bug, but well...

This is strange -- I did exactly what you described, and everything works as it should, that is: single elements are drawn after the test, and no brushes, as you described. Do you really still have a visible brush when moving the mouse pointer in the level area, or do you have a normal mouse pointer, but are still able to draw brushes? In my case, I have neither, which should be the correct behaviour. :-o

Very strange...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:This is strange -- I did exactly what you described, and everything works as it should, that is: single elements are drawn after the test, and no brushes, as you described. Do you really still have a visible brush when moving the mouse pointer in the level area, or do you have a normal mouse pointer, but are still able to draw brushes? In my case, I have neither, which should be the correct behaviour. :-o

Very strange...
Indeed strange, now that works fine for me too... oh well, maybe it was my mistake, sorry about that fake bug.

I got another idea of what might causing this buggy graphics bug, maybe it's something which happens when you edit custom elements for some time... well, it happened to me then... :roll: I also was thinking if it could have something to do with the mouse pointers position (when you're chasing bugs you must think of everything, eh?), but I don't think that is it...
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Originally writing this post, I wrote:This isn't a fake bug...I saw it twice myself!
This information is inaccurate.
Last edited by Daniel H. on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.