Level backgrounds

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

Level backgrounds

Post by Tomi »

Level backgrounds are a thing that can't be done very good with CEs but could look very cool. For examples, see some boulderdash clones at http://www.firststarsoftware.com/boulderdash.htm .
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

This was a discussion on the old forum I guess. If I'm right, it's on Holger's TODO list...
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Alan

Post by Alan »

Yeah we talked about this already. You should check out the old forum...

Level backdrops are kind of a double edged sword for me,

One the one hand they add great depth (if they scroll slower than the main scroller which isn't going to happen in RnD), plus you can really set the theme with them.

But then I'd have to stop antialiasing all my 3D output for graphics (since they wouldn't be rendered on black). Un-AA 3D looks bad and AA graphics displayed over different coloured backdrops also look bad (See Rockford walking over something in BD2K3)

So I'm not bothered about them.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> Yeah we talked about this already. You should check out the old forum...
Huh? Is it still accessible? How?

> But then I'd have to stop antialiasing all my 3D output for graphics
Gee, you're right, background would look very strange in BD2K3... :(

But most levelsets that I've tried to create until now always needed some not-yet-implemented feature, and backgrounds are one of them... (oh no, I've already forgot what did I want them for, but still great idea)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

[quote="Tomi"]> Yeah we talked about this already. You should check out the old forum...
Huh? Is it still accessible? How?[quote]
No, unfortunately not. The old forum was suddenly removed by the forum host. That's why this forum is settled on Holger's own server.

But there's still a backup somewhere around (I can remember it was posted somewhere on this forum by bojster, if I'm right).

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> But there's still a backup somewhere around (I can remember it was
> posted somewhere on this forum by bojster, if I'm right).

These were only some links to the Google cached pages, I think.

As far as I can see, the old forum is lost forever -- I don't have a copy of it either, unfortunately.

The forum hosters just deleted the whole old forum without any warning. (The forum hoster was "Proboards.com", so be very careful if you use this provider to host your forum... :-( )
Mark

Post by Mark »

If you played Spider Web's SUBTERRA game, the background concept is't that hard. In Spider Web's game, you would use a "background" element to apply a picture in the background. It has mountains, space and some swirls and what not... The point is that, it would be possible for R&D to load an image and use it for a group element. This group element would work in order so that when you play, you could see the picture wherever you placed this special group element. In SUBTERRA, if I remember correctly, it was a watermarked background. So, if you moved, the picture
would always go with you. Its interesting.
The Emerald King
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

The problem with CE/GE background in R'n'D is that
a) even if it's walkable over, other moving objects have to dig through the background,
b) even if you set empty space graphics or use any other tricks, they have black square around them.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Ah no...I ment the old-old forum ;-) It's still up and running!

http://pub58.ezboard.com/brocksanddiamonds
asiekierka_notlogged

Trick.

Post by asiekierka_notlogged »

If Holger create the option in graphicsinfo to set the transparent color the it will be really possible :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Sorry, but no, it won't. It's definitely impossible without some game/graphics engine modifications. (And defining the transparent color seems pointless to me.)

Besides that, Alan already said most if not all about this "double edged sword", although it is indeed a nice idea. But you either need alpha channel transparency or real "pixel art" levels to make use of it.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I pasted a little image in the black main part of Rocksscreen.pcx, but it's shown black in the game. I'd say, this is a way to still have a background in the levels, but it doesn't work.

Could anyone explain me why the background picture is not visible in the game? It still reads that part of the rocksscreen.pcx as black, while there is a picture in it.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

The answer is simple: Only the border is used from "RocksScreen.pcx". The middle part is always replaced with a black rectangle (or, to be more precise, is overwritten by the playfield tiles, which are drawn as solid rectangles.)

As mentioned, the game/graphics engine does not support transparency.
asiekierka_notlogged

???

Post by asiekierka_notlogged »

But in Maze Solver on the P1 Solved the Murphy not have black rectangle, it be "transparent on it"
This is the bug or what?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, the current few cases of transparency (like placing dynamite) are bugs, but I won't fix them... =;-)