Languages menu

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Languages menu

Post by Eizzoux »

I think it will be good if languages menu was in R'n'D!
English, German, Russian, French, Polish and etc.
Are you able to make this? Or you don't like the idea?
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Languages menu

Post by Holger »

Hi Eizzoux,

I do like that idea very much. It will probably be some work, but should be possible without too much trouble in principle.

There are two main reasons why I haven't done this so far (besides the fact that it's probably not the most exiting task to do). The first one is that I see the danger of outdated language catalogs that are not maintained anymore due to lost of interest of the translater after some time. The second (and probably more important) one is that certain parts of the interface (mainly the level editor screens) rely on the length (or shortness) of certain English terms to some degree. Translating it to a language using less compact words than English may result in an at least a bit ugly interface, if not redering it partially unusable due to input widgets getting shifted out of the visible (and clickable) area of the screen.

Nevertheless, it may at least make sense to translate certain running text to other languages (like the game element descriptions as displayed in the level editor and on the info screen), while possibly keeping "sensitive" areas like the custom element property pages in the level editor in English.