DC style dynamite or change EM style dynamite behaviour

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Davacardo

DC style dynamite or change EM style dynamite behaviour

Post by Davacardo »

I noticed this when I was trying to recreate a DC level in RnD.
If you place a sequence a of RnD style dynamite, and one of them is a hit by an explosion, they will all in turn, chain explode. Likewise if you place a series of EM style dynamite when using the RnD engine.

But when you do it again using the EM engine, they don't chain explode. Dyanmite in DC doesn't chain explode either. Could we please have DC style dynamite, or else change the behaviour for EM style dynamite when using the RnD engine?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

You are perfectly right -- I simply oversaw this behaviour of EM style dynamite (which should behave the same for EM and DC style levels)! :-o

I added a switch "[ ] explodes with chain reaction" to the "Config" tab of EM style dynamite in the level editor, using "[x]" ("on") for previous levels (to not break existing levels using EM style dynamite"), but using the default setting "[ ]" ("off") for all newly created levels (so that you get correct EM/DC style behaviour when using EM dynamite in new levels using the R'n'D game engine, without having to manually configure it for the correct behaviour).

The described fix for this bug (I think it's indeed a bug) will be available in the next version.

I'm afraid there are more of such inconsistencies with EM style elements when either used in the R'n'D or the EM engine... :-/
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

Thank you!

(Any idea when the next RnD version might be released?)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> (Any idea when the next RnD version might be released?)

Can't say at the moment. It's nearly ready for release since autumn last year and only needs very few bugs fixed, but since the birth of my son I nearly had no time to do some R'n'D programming anymore! :-o

I expect it to be released this summer anyway, but I don't want to promise anything. :-/
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

I did have an afterthought that it may have been simpler to leave EM style dynamite as it is, and add DC style dynamite, which didn't chain explode. But I dunno how this is programmed, so it might not be. Never mind. It'd be awesome to learn more C++ and possibly try to help, but the unit I just completed didn't teach us anything more advanced than enums, arrays and structs. Still got another 2.5 years to go yet.
Holger wrote: I expect it to be released this summer anyway, but I don't want to promise anything. :-/
Down here in Australia, it's winter. I can't wait another 6 months! :D Heh heh, joking. I guess you mean summer in the northern hemisphere?

I hope everything's going OK for you with your son!
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Davacardo wrote:Never mind. It'd be awesome to learn more C++ and possibly try to help, but the unit I just completed didn't teach us anything more advanced than enums, arrays and structs. Still got another 2.5 years to go yet.
Remember that R'n'D is written in C, not C++, so you wouldn't have to know all about C++. :)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

Really? I'll have to get my uni to change their course content then.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

There's nothing wrong with learning C++, though. It should teach you most of what you would need to know about C.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I did have an afterthought that it may have been simpler to leave EM style
> dynamite as it is, and add DC style dynamite, which didn't chain explode.

Yes, this would also have solved it, but I wanted EM style dynamite to behave the same in the EM engine and the R'n'D engine, so the new default seems to be better.

> Down here in Australia, it's winter. I can't wait another 6 months!

Oops! :-D

No, I don't think you have to! ;-)

> I guess you mean summer in the northern hemisphere?

Yes, of course -- sorry for my ignorance! Although I've already been in the southern hemisphere before (enjoying spring there when it was autumn at home), I just didn't think about it at the moment I wrote the above! :-o ;-)

> I hope everything's going OK for you with your son!

Thank you, yes! Everything's as fine as can be! :-)
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

Holger wrote: I added a switch "[ ] explodes with chain reaction" to the "Config" tab of EM style dynamite in the level editor, using "[x]" ("on") for previous levels (to not break existing levels using EM style dynamite"), but using the default setting "[ ]" ("off") for all newly created levels (so that you get correct EM/DC style behaviour when using EM dynamite in new levels using the R'n'D game engine, without having to manually configure it for the correct behaviour).
Hate to drag this up again. I've been playing some DC2 levels recently. You mentioned that leaving chain-explodable on to not break existing levels. Does this mean (obviously existing) DC2 levels will still have chain-exploding dynamite? Is there a way to detect if a level is DC2 or otherwise, and set the option appropriately? Changing the options of hundreds of levels could get a bit tedious.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Does this mean (obviously existing) DC2 levels will still have
> chain-exploding dynamite? Is there a way to detect if a level is DC2 or
> otherwise, and set the option appropriately?

Yep, right -- good point! This depends on the type of DC2 level. If it's a DC2 level converted to R'n'D, it would need changing (or re-converting). As far as I know, there are no such DC2 levels, but only original DC2 levels which are directly read from R'n'D. These on-the-fly converted, original levels are always converted to the latest version of the game engine, which means that they will contain the fix I described above. Therefore, just starting to play those DC2 levels with the upcoming new R'n'D version would fix it all! :-)
dave

Post by dave »

Holger wrote:I added a switch "[ ] explodes with chain reaction" to the "Config" tab of EM style dynamite in the level editor, using "[x]" ("on") for previous levels (to not break existing levels using EM style dynamite"),
why complicate things when you dont care about compatibility with emerald mine?
Holger wrote:I'm afraid there are more of such inconsistencies with EM style elements when either used in the R'n'D or the EM engine... :-/
yeah but you have said you arent aiming for emerald mine compatibility.

dave